Skyrim World Map and Game Manual "Leaked"

Status
Not open for further replies.

alhanelem

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
actually i prefer if the gameplay is better in Skyrim, if the graphics are the same or just slightly better than oblivion then i dont care, someone somewhere might make a mod to make it better just like the mod on morrowwind and oblivion

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
What I didn't like about Oblivion:
1. fast travel - discourages exploration
2. quest arrow - also discourages exploration (game was designed around fast travel and the quest arrow so turning them off via mods makes the game unplayable)
3. leveled NPCs and loot - bandits with Mithril armor and glass maces trying to shake you down for 50 septims
4. uninspiring enemies - daedra are basically mindless monsters in the game
5. closing Oblivion gates was boooring

What I know I won't like about Skyrim:
1. no weapon maintenance
2. reduced number of attributes
3. graphics suited for current gen consoles (not much better than Fallout 3)
4. world map is same size as in Oblivion
5. fast travel, quest arrow and leveled NPCs and loot

Oh well, still better than MMO crap...

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]What I didn't like about Oblivion:1. fast travel - discourages exploration2. quest arrow - also discourages exploration (game was designed around fast travel and the quest arrow so turning them off via mods makes the game unplayable)3. leveled NPCs and loot - bandits with Mithril armor and glass maces trying to shake you down for 50 septims4. uninspiring enemies - daedra are basically mindless monsters in the game5. closing Oblivion gates was boooringWhat I know I won't like about Skyrim:1. no weapon maintenance2. reduced number of attributes3. graphics suited for current gen consoles (not much better than Fallout 3)4. world map is same size as in Oblivion5. fast travel, quest arrow and leveled NPCs and lootOh well, still better than MMO crap...[/citation]

wow... you have no idea what was taken out of oblivion for the engine run on the consoles do you?

youtube some early pre e3 ai demos, and how the game worked.
play a bit of morrowind, and than complain about
fast travel... while i can admit was poorly done, you also have to remember the only way to fast travle is to have BEEN TO THAT AREA ONCE, it didn't discourage exploration. now on towns, im not sure, i didn't discover fast travel till i already visited all the main citys.
enemy leveling was lame, what i would love is a more demon souls feal but we all know that will never happen.
ai was SEVERELY dumbed down for the consoles. blame them not the game itself.
after playing/seeing rage, it will be hard for skyrim to be impressive ai wise.
and graphics... i go into that enough for people to know i care far more about game/gameplay than what the game looks like.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Can't wait!

I truly hope this game is optimized for PC. When Oblivion came out, it clearly was not well optimized for PC(still love the game though). I am a little nervous after the Rage PC fiasco. I pretty much updated my system just to play this game though.

Please Bethesda don't let us down with another bad console port. I have faith this one will be great!

klavis

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
Wow, so you say it was "leaked", then you admit that it was not leaked at all but given out as a promotion, then you write a whole paragraph about how things that are leaked now aren't really leaked when the whole thing was never leaked to begin with. It was given out as promotional items at an event! Why was items being leaked even brought up in this article, nothing was leaked, not even fake leaked? This article is contradictory.

bennaye

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
What I hated about Oblivion was the jarring experience you got when you just finished talking to some random city guard, then literally 10 seconds later you would hear the same voice.

And the dialogue you heard when you happened to pass by some gossiping folks was just terrible. "I ran into some mud crabs the other day"..."I've fought mud crabs tougher than you". My god, it was so bland but hilarious. Fkin MUD CRABS!!! I hope they pick up the dialogue a bit in Skyrim.

G

"leveled NPCs and loot" - Skyrim does this *differently* than Oblivion - the NPCs only level up to a set limit in each area - so in starting area when you come back at level 30 - everything is gonna be level 5 still and you could 2 shot everything with ease.

So Skyrim is NOT the same as Oblivion as far as auto-scaling NPCs

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]skyrim_tester[/nom]Skyrim does this *differently* than Oblivion - the NPCs only level up to a set limit in each area[/citation]

Yeah, it's an improvement (and NPC leveling was solved with mods in Oblivion), but the reasoning behind NPC leveling with the player is stupid in my opinion and I'm worried that the same reasoning will ruin some part of Skyrim.

Mr_Blastman

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
[citation][nom]skyrim_tester[/nom]"leveled NPCs and loot" - Skyrim does this *differently* than Oblivion - the NPCs only level up to a set limit in each area - so in starting area when you come back at level 30 - everything is gonna be level 5 still and you could 2 shot everything with ease.So Skyrim is NOT the same as Oblivion as far as auto-scaling NPCs[/citation]

Well, sure, but it doesn't solve the fundamental problem of NOT leveling up like people would do on purpose in Oblivion. If areas have a set level limit, that still means they scale to a point... and if you enter the area at a really low level, the monsters will also be low level.

This kind of system stinks. There need to be areas like Morrowind or Daggerfall that intentially kick your tail for being too weak to even be there... or even like The Bards Tale. If you went into Harkyn's Castle at level 5... Oh wait, I mean... TRIED to go into it--as there was an ominous Grey Dragon guarding the door... well, your whole party would die (to the tune of 296 points of damage or so) from his dragon's breath.

IF you managed to get into the Castle, you'd still face the 99, 99, 99, 99 Berserkers behind door #3...

So, no, having a level limit doesn't fix it. The only thing that fixes it is having set minimums and maximums but more appropriately, just having fixed levels and making some areas pure suicide to even attempt at low level. Maybe adding in that other Bard's Tale feature of... permadeath would help also (that is, unless you could afford to pay a temple to heal your character)...

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
Really looking forward to it but will not buy it on day one, have to wait for initial reports of game killing bugs. If no major bugs then I will buy. This is a PC game, the best way to play FPS/RTS and RPG games.

proxy711

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
As long as enemy loot doesn't scale with levels I'm sure this game will be awesome.

I don't want to find a full set of glass on some random bandit, that isn't a boss or really really hidden in some dungeon.

G

you guys are dumb. Todd already said that there will be areas that will kick your butt, like New Vegas.

The other option would be no scaling which puts the whole game on tracks and encourages exploitative and suicidal play to get high level loot early in the game.

Generally i liked more morrowind than oblivion (except the obvious like graphics).
I have to say that Morrowind gave a feeling of beeing a small bug in a huge world, where as in oblivion you feel like a hero even while walking out of a prison....

Its of course a personal feeling, but i like the cresendo, the way you build up from a guy everybody laguhs at to a guy everyone is afraid of.

Another thing i didnt like is sneaking was only skill based. I like those games where sneaking is based on more things, like how fast you are moving, how dark it is (in some parts it made no sence that in total darkness and while not moving, you were seen from 50 meteres becouse you have a sneak skill of 10).

Generally i enjoyed Oblivion, but i think some potential was destroyed in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.