[SOLVED] Sleep mode causes crash/restart ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ijustdontknowanything

Commendable
Feb 8, 2021
So yeah, my pc doesnt like to sleep. Not that i would really ever use sleep mode, it just got me curious as to why its crashing my pc.

See here's the thing, i undervolted my 5900x and i was aware that it could crash at low usage if the undervolt was unstable. I did the undervolt and left the pc running overnight and everything was fine, it didnt crash idling for hours. It also has no issues in games and benchmarks. However, i noticed something weird. Whenever my monitor shuts down, my graphics card (6900xt) turns off as well. The rgb turns off and the fans stop spinning. However the graphics card then turns back on again and the monitor does as well. And thats the way it goes, off and on off and on for as long as i let it. Its like my graphics card wants to chill whenever the monitor turns off (which im not sure is a thing, can anyone confirm that this is a thing? I have the XFX 6900xt MERC 319) but something is telling it to get to work.

But this is not the main issue (at least i dont think it is), the real issue is that whenever i select sleep the pc crash reboots. And i know its a crash because the Event Viewer shows a Kernel-Power error stating that the pc didnt shutdown properly AND Radeon Software says that the settings have been reset due to an unexpected system failure. The only thing i change for my graphics card is the fan curve, its stock.

Now, obviously my first thought was that the undervolt wasnt stable. I lessened the undervolt but it still crashed when i tried sleep mode. I then got rid of the undervolt altogether and still it crashes when sleep mode is selected.

Also my BIOS settings DO NOT reset, which if it was resetting i read could be a sign that the motherboard is dying. So thats good.

I googled around and there are cases with the exact issue im having but i couldnt find a solution.

Like i said i have never really used sleep mode and wont be using it really and honestly if its a windows 10 issue or something then whatever, i dont need it.

MOD EDIT:

Just a quick FYI, i did mess around with some settings in Device Manager for some things a while back and its possible that i may have prevented the pc from turning off certain devices that it needs to turn off in order to enter sleep mode. Will see if that's the case.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
most of the time there are sleep problems it can be drivers to blame

what are specs of PC?

Whenever my monitor shuts down, my graphics card (6900xt) turns off as well. The rgb turns off and the fans stop spinning. However the graphics card then turns back on again and the monitor does as well.
first part is right, when PC sleeps everything turns off. But it shouldn't turn back on again if its meant to be in sleep until you wake PC

Could try replacing GPU drivers with DDU and see if it helps - https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...n-install-of-your-video-card-drivers.2402269/

Ijustdontknowanything

Commendable
Feb 8, 2021
Well its fixed, im not sure what it was that turned out to be the solution but its one of two things.
I went into power options and changed "Link State Power Management" to OFF. Its under PCI Express.
And the other thing is what i mentioned earlier, i went into Device Manager and checked the box that allows the pc to turn off device on various things. Right click -> properties -> power management and check the box.

I was a bit worried when the pc just abruptly shut down but then i was like "wait a minute did it just do what its supposed to do?" lol. And sure enough i clicked the mouse and it turned back on.

Not sure if i should leave this thread up. Might be good for others to find. Im going to leave it to mods to decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.