Sleep Problems After Ram Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

mastermx

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
So I upgraded my Ram, you can read about the adventure here: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2958221/p7p55d-motherboard-ram-compatibility-problems.html

I am now facing a new problem. My PC now cannot wake up from hibernate mode. When I put my PC to sleep, and then try to wake it up. It turns on for a few seconds and then shuts down immediately. Then it enters a loop of turning on and turning off. Even unplugging it and plugging it back in doesn't fix the problem.

The only way to get it working again is to reset the cmos. This is a pain to do everytime the pc goes to hibernate. What could be causing this issue?

sancho_mic

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015
i think your ram is not working or not configured properly.
run memtest on on your pc for 24 hours. any error should be considered suspicious.

entering sleep means keeping the data in ram and continue to power the motherboard and ram, so that data is kept accurate and consistent.
hibernate means that content of your ram is offloaded into the disk before shutting down the pc completely.

as a side note, if you have ssd, then don;t use hibernate, use sleep, to avoid wearing out your ssd with unnecessary write cycles.

mastermx

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Sorry I forgot to distinguish between hibernate and sleep. I only use sleep mode.

It seems like I just keep running into problems. Went into Bios trying to configure my Ram, but the bios menu freezes when I try to enter the "Ai Tweaker". I'm just constantly googling trying to figure this thing out. The PC works, I am using it now to type this, but this sleep mode problem is a real hassle.

I am currently trying to install AI Suite, but it tells me that it doesn't even support this model. It seems like I can't even configure my ram due to Asus and their bugs.

sancho_mic

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015
please rule out that your ram is not faulty, and that is configured ok - run memtest.
i think any other attempts are not effective at this point.
btw, are you buying your ram based on the manufacturer's qvl?
your old thread looks like trial and error when selecting the ram - this is not really helping out to buy the compatible for your motherboard.

mastermx

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
I chose the new ram based on the manufacturer's list of ram compatible with my motherboard.

I will run the memtest but I'm thinking I will do it overnight or when I don't need the PC. Right now I am just trying to access the AI Tweaker and configure the ram on the bios so that I don't have PC sleep issues. I have read online that the freezing that is happening in the bios when trying to access AI Tweaker is a bug. I am not 100% sure of this.

UPDATE: Just tried accessing the bios with old ram and the same problem happens, this bios crashing was not happening before I updated it from the last thread. I might be forced to flash back down to an older version.

mastermx

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Asus EZflash 2 won't let me downgrade my bios. No idea how to configure the ram settings. Can't get any utility to run either. I should have never updated my bios.

Status
Not open for further replies.