Question SLI 1070 on a Origins EVO-17 Notebook: Is it worth it? (Gaming Usage)

Jun 12, 2019
I have a power house EVO-17 Notebook, 4k screen, i7-7700, 32 gigs or ram, with a single Nvidia 1070 in there. I've been thinking about getting a second for SLI.

A bit about gaming setup if it helps:
Most of my games are SLI supported due to the ever supportive modding community: (Ark, Skyrim, Fallout 4). I don't have very much interest in newer games, but I enjoy good graphics, but don't push 4k resolutions. I tend cap my frame rate and never push my card over 70% processing power. This of course doesn't always give me the best graphics for texture heavy settings or anti-aliasing. I run boarderless window mode on most of my games since using full screen on one monitor always minimizes or moves my application windows on the second monitor.(If anyone knows a solution for this I dying to hear it, I can not find one for the life of me). I run the second monitor at 1600x900 with maybe music from youtube and discord.

I've done quite a few hours of research, but I'm getting a ton of mixed messages from various articles and performance graphs as I consider buying a second 1070. I have no interest in getting a 1080 seeing as mixing cards isn't recommended and possibly a huge no no. I also hear that SLI is Super buggy and wonder if anyone has personal experience with a SLI notebook.

I wanted to upgrade for better performance (better resolutions and textures at a capped frame rate of 60 fps with relatively the same performance process usage as one card, if that's even possible), but I don't know if it will overall cause my pc more stress/lessen the life span. I know it will generate more heat and takes more power, but will it cause substantially more stress on the video cards? It's a really nice pc and I want to keep it as long as possible, but is the second 1070 (a $800) upgrade worth it for someone like me?

Two things:
  1. Dual GPUs in a laptop is never a good idea due to the heat restrictions.
  2. I've never heard of anyone adding a second GPU to a laptop that didn't come with two GPUs already. Maybe, just maybe that's possible. But again, it's definitely not worth it for $800.
PS: No one here will tell you that SLI is a good idea even in a desktop. When it comes to laptops, you typically don't upgrade the GPU. It's just too expensive to make it worth the money and effort.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
I don't think anyone will tell you $800 for another GTX 1070 is worth it. They go for around $200 used on eBay, desktop of course. With your $800 + the value of your used laptop, you could sell it and buy a much better gaming laptop or build an even better desktop. Laptops aren't really meant for gaming or upgrading.

Jun 12, 2019
Okay, thank you. By the way as we're on the topic of gpu's, how do you like the EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti ? I was thinking about a build with one.

I'm very satisfied with my GTX 1080 Ti. However, if you were buying now (unless you buy used) the RTX 2080 is a better buy because it offers similar and sometimes better performance along with ray tracing support. Not to mention it's very difficult to find a new 1080 Ti now.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS