SLI & Centrino 2: Gaming Laptops Battle

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Koios

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
What a lot of people posting here don't seem to get, is that these computers are luxury items. Gaming is not a basic necessity. Nobody needs a jaccuzzi, when they have a perfectly good bathtub. People buy these for the prestige of owning something that the average person can
only dream of.

If these prices are such an overwhelming issue, then maybe this isn't an item that you should be purchasing in the first place. There is no shame in settling for whatever you can afford. If it soothes you to convince yourself that it is just as good or better as a a top of the line notebook, than go right ahead. But nobody else is going to believe it. After all, you can get to work in a Honda, but wouldn't you rather be driving a Lamberghini? H*** yeah! Just because both of them have four wheels and an engine, it doesn't mean that they are the same in any but the broadest of definitions. For better or worse, your possessions are a reflection of how the world sees you as a person and most people I know want to be seen as a star.

When I buy something I expect it to be a finished product, not something that I will have to keep upgrading, until it finally becomes the machine that I wanted in the first place. By the time that happens, the technology will be outdated again anyway. I use computers a lot, but personally don't know that much about putting them together and I don't want really want to learn just to save a few bucks. There may be a few do-it-yourselfers who could possibly replicate these machines and kudos to them. As for me, I will gladly pay an expert to do all of the "dirty" work, so I can get right down to using it for it's intended purpose - Play.

This review gave me a lot of food for thought. I wish that more companies had participated, but this gives me a good place to start looking for my next notebook.

david714

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2008
SLI in notebook is just rediculous, it will run very hot, make lots of noise, be bulky, and have horrible battery life for the few occasions when you are unplugged. I think a better choice than all of these is the new Dell Precision M6400. It has a slimmer chassis (8.5lbs), an nVidia Quadro FX3700 (128 shaders), illuminated keyboard, 1440x900 or 1920x1200 displays, montevina chipset, 2 hard drive bays, four memory slots (up to 16GB ram), it's a name brand w/good support, and you get the quality magnesium construction of the Precision laptop line.

FarLT

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
sry for the stupid question but I wondered how to run an SLI configuration on an Intel PM965 chipet in Alienware's laptop...

david714

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2008
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]nope, noope.nooope . teh quadro FX is WORKSTATION video card , it is not designed for or intended to run games.[/citation]
The Quadro FX3700m is the exact same chip as the 9800mgtx. It is not a different chip designed for something else. It also gets very good 3DMark06 scores. Maybe the Quadro in your desktop pc is not as new as you think, or something else in that PC is different...

mhooper2

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
I read all the comments.

Here is my taking on the subject. Just because you cant afford it doesnt mean it isnt worth it.

Yes Alienware is overpirced and to say that these gaming notebooks wouldnt sell. Please bury your head further. Did you see Alienwares profits from the last 5 years.

David714- Your dell would get lost in the dust. Case and point since Dell OWNS Alienware why didnt they send the machine you are referring too? Because it sint intended for the Worlds Fastest notebook challenge.

To those that have mentioned XoticPC and the like. Why didnt they send int heir laptops? Because you can go to Prostar- An actual distributor and buy the same thing for less.

With Killernotebooks you are not only paying for the notebook. Youa re also paying for propriteary software and knowledge that goes into it. Not to mention see the 30 day No dead pixel policy you have to pay for with other boutiques? Comes standard with Killernotebooks.

I think everyone has missed the point of this review/shootout. To build an extreme machine. You can get a gaming computer from Killernotebook sthat will still best all the other performance for less that this system cost. But why send a pinto to when a race when you can send in a Ferrari?

These notebooks are built to last and to say Dells customer support as words in teh same sentence. Please dont contradict yourself.

Dell is a joke. Business and personal computers. Great for the masses but not for a truly unique experience.

You have to realize you are enetering a whole new world of fast when you obtain one of these notebooks. They really set the bar and when your buying a new one next year because yours wont run the newest stuff out. Think about all the money you will spend. When if you do it right the first time you dont have these issues.

People dont drive exotic cars just because they cost more. The drive them because of build quality, craftsmanship, and speed.

Comparing lower models to these like the Gateway etc. You are comparing apples to oranges.

david714

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2008
[citation][nom]mhooper2[/nom]David714- Your dell would get lost in the dust. Case and point since Dell OWNS Alienware why didnt they send the machine you are referring too? Because it sint intended for the Worlds Fastest notebook challenge.[/citation]The Dell M6400 deserves to be on the list, it is surely faster than both the Asus G71 and the M860TU. The Dell M6400 just went on sale yesterday so it's very new... I think Dell is trying to keep some clear separation between their workstation gaming laptops also. As far as the support goes, I found the Dell support to be pretty good although you do need to be patient and sit through about 15 minutes of dumb questions at the start of the call...

G

I'd rather spend that $4k as a downpayment on a motorcycle than a laptop. :) Also, it's amusing that 24fps in a game is 'unplayable'. Don't you guys remember the days of DOS where 24fps was the norm and 12fps was more than enough to play? Your gaming routes are long gone.

eriko

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
OMG, I can't believe that everytime a 'notebook review' comes along, people start moaning about price, buying a desktop, and lesser power...

I travel ALL THE TIME. I cannot carry around a 'lan box', and I tried. My Shuttle SD39P2 with Q6600 and all the bells n whilstles got WEIGHED during check in with SAS airlines (as it was a carry on). I had to remove the raptors to get it under 9kg, for the return journey. Phew.

Guys / girls - these are LAPTOPS and as such are portable.

So they cost more, we know, change the record.

BTW, Crysis runs rather well on my Rock Xtreme 770, and if not for laptops, I'd not be playing it at all.

Have a nice day lugging around your lan-boxes, and receiving your mail on your mobile phones....that will look great when your client meets you at the airport. NOT.

G

"I find it difficult to see that there is no viable option between a $1300 Gateway and a $4000 boutique build."

and

"Um, isn't the point of all this to build the fastest notebook? Money no object?"

My point was THIS: The same exact notebook outlined for $4k can be had for half the price from other resellers. This review even indicates it in a paragraph wayyyyy at the end. There ARE options in between $1300 and $4k. Killer Notebooks DOES overprice their notebooks compared to Sager, Prostar, Eurocom offerings. The $800+ extra for a slightly faster "extreme" chip is *NOT* a good deal (for what, 400-450 extra in 3dsmark06 if that).

You can get the M860TU (Eurocom's Montebello, Sager's NP8660) for around $2300 with near top of the line specs. You can get it for $1630 with base specs (9800GTS - just replaced the 9800GT, P8400 chip, 2GB ram, 160GB HDD) and it runs *fantastically.* It runs *Crysis* fantastically; I have one at near bottom of the barrel specs and I can verify the above.

G

"To those that have mentioned XoticPC and the like. Why didnt they send int heir laptops? Because you can go to Prostar- An actual distributor and buy the same thing for less."

Actually, the price is nearly the same, and possibly a bit more at Prostar (and Sager - both of whom actually discount prices for their resellers (Lynnbay being a Prostar reseller) about $100 less or so, or one reason or another - likely customer handling).

"With Killernotebooks you are not only paying for the notebook. Youa re also paying for propriteary software and knowledge that goes into it. Not to mention see the 30 day No dead pixel policy you have to pay for with other boutiques? Comes standard with Killernotebooks."

I'm sorry, but you're defending an overpriced boutique shop - whose main attraction is custom detailing, painting and stickers applied on your notebook. The 30 day dead pixel guarantee is available at other resellers, for $99-200 more, as is everything else mentioned. On TOP of that, even counting ALL of this added onto from other resellers (Power Notebooks, Xotic, Lynnbay) Killer Notebooks is $500-700+ more expensive, and that's *before* they glue shiny stickers onto your notebook. You're paying for paint, stickers, and possibly a bit more testing of your system.

There IS a middle ground between $1k range poor quality plastic overheating gaming machines, and $4k "boutique" (boutique = I rip off the original manufacturer and slap a sticker on it, sometimes offer better thermal paste, and cram the fastest processors I can find in it and charge extra accordingly and then some) gaming machines. If you want to go to a boutique like KN, or worse, VoodooPC, Hypersonic, etc, you had better get their maxed out notebooks ($4k-$6k+) because anything middle of the round, or base specs that the machine comes with is *way cheaper* somewhere else. If you're getting base configs at these places, you're ONLY doing it to have a sticker with the brand name on it.

Koios

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
Wow, some people get so bitter, when other people can afford to buy better toys. You can be cheap or you can insist on the best. Wherever you land between those two points, you should be satisfied with your own decision. It is proof that you are insecure of your own possessions, when you have this compulsive need to slam what other people own or want to own. If your system works for you - great! It doesn't mean that anyone else has to get the same thing.

Personally, I want a KillerNotebook for several reasons, all of which make the price acceptable. First, I know that my machine is being built specifically for me, not on some assembly line. The owner is very knowledgable. Feedback I've heard from past customers show that he takes personal pride and responsibility for each notebook he sells, doing whatever it takes to ensure their satisfaction. I, for one, feel much more confident buying from Killernotebooks because they are a small "boutique" company than some indifferent salesman. These computers mean more to them than just a paycheck. They are sincerely trying to go above and beyond their competition to deliver quality and it is a shame that nobody can see beyond the price tag to appreciate it.

G

the next round up should have a sager in there, they are an incredible hardware bargain.

G

my son, 13, is trying to save up enough $ for half a gaming laptop. We're paying the other half. He wants Alienware but he's getting frustrated because it's taking so long to save enough money. I suggested that he wouldn't buy a lamborghini for his first car and maybe something else that cost less but would work nearly as well would get him gaming sooner. This site and comments have been helpful but I would appreciate any recommendations.

groo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
Alienware is just Sager plus an alien symbol and a higher price tag.

stuff like hard drives and menory is very easy to upgrade on your own, and its often cheaper to by a computer with the basic crap and then buy another HDD and set of memory and change them out right away.

Ravendon

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2008
Make that 99.99%.

[citation][nom]ap90033[/nom]4 Grand? Are you guys nuts? I would say that right there would rule out about 90% of us normal gmaers.. [/citation]

G

Luscious you must have terrible work. Bought a P7811 fx and finished crisis and crisis warhead without a single lock up. After about 5 or 6 hours of playing the laptop seemed to like a 10-15 minute break to let everything cool down but that is about it. I am not sure but it just seemed like frame rates slowed down after playing for a long time but it may have just been in my mind. I couldn't be any happier and I got it for 1150 out the door including tax... :)

mr_tuel

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
I ran the Crysis benchmark on the G71 that Best Buy sells, and it ran 9-12 FPS with everything "Very High" and AA at 2x. The GT 260M is a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.