SLI / CrossFire FAQs

Page 52 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

8350rocks

Distinguished
Well, first, there are some questions you should answer to give enough information to give you the right idea.

[*] What resolution are you typically working on?

[*] What types of things do you typically use your PC for?

[*] If you play games, what kind of games do you typically play?

Then, second, this is a general information thread about SLI/CFX to help people with general info about multi-GPU setups. You would be better served posting a thread in the GPUs forum specifically posting the above information I advised you to list to get a proper response.

4745454b

Titan
Pair a GTX with an RTX? No. I don't ever see that happening. NVidia has always been very restrictive on what will SLI together.

Up until super recently they were't even going to allow GTX cards to do ray tracing. They changed their mind recently. I'm not sure they opened up ray tracing and SLI. Considering SLIs performance recently if I were you and looking to do ray tracing I'd be focused more on getting the best RTX card you can. I strongly suggest waiting for Ray Tracing games to show up however. So far there isn't much you can do with it.

Pair a GTX with an RTX? No. I don't ever see that happening. NVidia has always been very restrictive on what will SLI together.

Up until super recently they were't even going to allow GTX cards to do ray tracing. They changed their mind recently. I'm not sure they opened up ray tracing and SLI. Considering SLIs performance recently if I were you and looking to do ray tracing I'd be focused more on getting the best RTX card you can. I strongly suggest waiting for Ray Tracing games to show up however. So far there isn't much you can do with it.
He might be thinking about how PhysX could be performed on a 2nd card, even if they weren't the same. At this point, I've not heard of this being a possibility, and let's just be honest, it's not going to be worth the money, even if it did.

ASK THE COMMUNITY