Question SLI for new custom PC

Jul 14, 2019
Hello,

I am ready to buy a new custom build pc and I would like to have some advise on it as mostly MSI forum wont respond.

PC Part Picker Link: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Zarcrash/saved/6hkq3C

CPU | AMD - Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor | $499.00 @ B&H
CPU Cooler | Noctua - NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler | $89.95 @ Newegg
Motherboard | MSI - X470 GAMING PRO CARBON ATX AM4 Motherboard | $179.99 @ Amazon
Memory | Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory | $149.99 @ Amazon
Storage | Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive | $77.99 @ Amazon
Storage | Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive | $41.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card | MSI - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB VENTUS Video Card (2-Way SLI) | $609.99 @ Newegg
Video Card | MSI - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB VENTUS Video Card (2-Way SLI) | $609.99 @ Newegg
Case | Phanteks - Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case | $99.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply | Corsair - CXM 750 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply | $99.89 @ OutletPC
Monitor | Acer - GN246HL 24.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor | $179.99 @ B&H
Monitor | Acer - GN246HL 24.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor | $179.99 @ B&H
Monitor | LG - 27GK750F-B 27.0" 1920x1080 240 Hz Monitor | $299.00 @ B&H

Some notes:

1. At first I would like to mention that I somehow got both Video Cards for free (yes I know :) ) so I am not going to change them and I will use them for SLI so there is no need for comments there.
  2. Secondly, I am a programmer and video game developer so Ryzen is better for me with its increased multi-core performance against i9. Also I do not like high temperatures at all.
  3. Finally, the motherboard I choose is the best I can get for this CPU. The reason is that i live on an island and there is only one good vendor to buy from who will provide full warranties and take over when something happens (e.g. safely sent the PC with his own responsibility to the mainland for service etc). At this time the vendor can only provide this motherboard. Keep in mind that MSI updated its bios to support Ryzen 3000 CPUs on MSI-X470 and this is confirmed by both MSI and my vendor. Also, my vendor confirmed that this motherboard supports 2 way SLI which I need to use both video cards. The vendor site for AM4 motherboards is here if anyone has anything better to comment in the same price range (about 220 euros) https://www.e-shop.gr/ypologistes-m...D4%D1%C9%CA%C7+%CA%C1%D1%D4%C1&filter-14693=1
  4. Please do not comment on storage and monitor choices I just put them there to see if the PSU is enough.

Now my questions are below for anyone willing to help.

1. Will the video cards fit on the motherboard for SLI use?
  2. Which Nvidia Nvlink should I buy to connect those cards?
  3. Is the PSU enough?

Thanks a lot!

Jul 2, 2019
  1. Yes the GPUs should fit just fine, but they will be snug so make sure you have good airflow in your case.
  2. You will get an SLI bridge with your motherboard so I would recommend you try this first. If you feel the need to upgrade then probably best get the MSI product to match your cards (60mm)
  3. Your PSU is not really enough as you have not left enough headroom. PCpartpicker has calculated your build to be 644W so I would suggest 850W min to allow your PSU to be efficient (and quieter). Also, since you have a high end build I would strongly suggest upgrading the PSU to gold certified which will give you better quality distribution and better protection for your build

Good luck!

Reactions: MeanMachine41
Jul 14, 2019
Than you very much for your comments. I have now updated my build with a 850w Zalman Full Modular Gold. One more thing, can I use SLI with the RTX cards? I thought I could only use Nvlink.

Thanks again!

Jul 14, 2019
Thank you for your comment, I do not want to save either, I just talked to my vendor as I wrote unfortunately in this remote area I do not have many choices as I need a good warranty just in case. However I can find PSU COOLERMASTER V850 GOLD 850W which
I think will do the trick.

Thank you for your comment, I do not want to save either, I just talked to my vendor as I wrote unfortunately in this remote area I do not have many choices as I need a good warranty just in case. However I can find PSU COOLERMASTER V850 GOLD 850W which
I think will do the trick.
Since you have listed your location as America, are you saying you are not in America and you cannot use the parts you picked on that website?

Jul 14, 2019
My location is wrong I live in an island in Greece :). Anyway, you talk about the Corsair - CXM 750 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply which I had in my initial build or the PSU COOLERMASTER V850 GOLD 850W I plan to finally buy?

Jul 14, 2019
Ok sorry for returning into this....I choose PSU SEASONIC PRIME 850W GOLD as a good option for the PSU. However, I am only able to find through my vendor the PSU SEASONIC PRIME 1000W GOLD...I guess it is a better option as it is the same model but a bit more powerful...what is your opinion on putting the 1000w?

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
From what I understand Using 2 2080's in SLI (NVLink) will NOT benefit you much if at all.
And may even cause more issues than it is worth.
So the burning question: should you spend $1,680 on RTX 2080 SLI? Absolutely not. Averaging all our tests, RTX 2080 SLI is within single-digit percentage performance with RTX 2080 Ti SLI. Get a single RTX 2080 Ti, overclock it further yourself, and you've definitively set yourself up for 4K 60 Hz bliss. Should you spend $2,480 on RTX 2080 Ti SLI? This is a different beast. For the sheer fact that there is no alternative to RTX 2080 Ti SLI, it becomes a halo option. You spend top dollar for the highest performance you can have. Even so, the RTX 2080 Ti SLI is unlikely to make 4K 120 Hz gaming a breeze without watering down the eye candy, and it's still not fast enough for higher resolutions, such as 5K or 8K.
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-sli-rtx-2080-sli-nvlink/9.html

IMO buying 2 2080's for the same system is a Huge waste of money.
Buy 1 RTX 2080 Ti and you will save a ton of money and have basically the same performance that you would get with 2 2080's in SLI.

Jul 14, 2019
From what I understand Using 2 2080's in SLI (NVLink) will NOT benefit you much if at all.
And may even cause more issues than it is worth.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-sli-rtx-2080-sli-nvlink/9.html

IMO buying 2 2080's for the same system is a Huge waste of money.
Buy 1 RTX 2080 Ti and you will save a ton of money and have basically the same performance that you would get with 2 2080's in SLI.

Thanks for your reply, as I said I did not buy the 2x 2080 they were given to me for free and I already have them so I am gonna put them to this PC in any case as it is a 70 dollar investment to buy an NvLink. However, I would only like to know opinions at the moment abou the PSU SEASONIC PRIME 1000W GOLD

DSzymborski

Titan
Thanks for your reply, as I said I did not buy the 2x 2080 they were given to me for free and I already have them so I am gonna put them to this PC in any case as it is a 70 dollar investment to buy an NvLink. However, I would only like to know opinions at the moment abou the PSU SEASONIC PRIME 1000W GOLD

Then you should sell one.

I would encourage you to not try to start telling people what they're not "allowed" to offer opinions about as it will not end well for you.

Reactions: King_V
Jul 14, 2019
Then you should sell one.

I would encourage you to not try to start telling people what they're not "allowed" to offer opinions about as it will not end well for you.
Sorry about it and I wont argue with that but I have stated this on my first post I know that a 2080 Ti is better but in order to help people avoid lossing their time I have wrote... "At first I would like to mention that I somehow got both Video Cards for free (yes I know :) ) so I am not going to change them and I will use them for SLI so there is no need for comments there. ". I cannot sell the cards for personal reasons.

DSzymborski

Titan
Sorry about it and I wont argue with that but I have stated this on my first post I know that a 2080 Ti is better but in order to help people avoid lossing their time I have wrote... "At first I would like to mention that I somehow got both Video Cards for free (yes I know :) ) so I am not going to change them and I will use them for SLI so there is no need for comments there. ". I cannot sell the cards for personal reasons.

If somebody gave me a gift and overspent by $600, I'd be having a conversation with them to discuss how to ease their financial burden. I can't imagine a scenario in which someone gave you $1200 worth of GPUs and commanded you to use exactly these GPUs even if it didn't make any sense.

I find this a ludicrous scenario, enough so that it raises my suspicion that there is something else going on here, perhaps not all on the up-and-up. Missing key facts of this story, I think I'm done participating in this thread except as needed in an administrative capacity.

Jul 14, 2019
If somebody gave me a gift and overspent by $600, I'd be having a conversation with them to discuss how to ease their financial burden. I can't imagine a scenario in which someone gave you $1200 worth of GPUs and commanded you to use exactly these GPUs even if it didn't make any sense.

I find this a ludicrous scenario, enough so that it raises my suspicion that there is something else going on here, perhaps not all on the up-and-up. Missing key facts of this story, I think I'm done participating in this thread except as needed in an administrative capacity.

I had one, as a gift, and someone gave me one of his, which also received as a gift and does not need anymore. I do not want to sell mine as it is a gift neither the other one as it has emotional value for the other person but still wants me to have it and enjoy it. Money is not always the value of things.

Jul 14, 2019

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
You are being told that SLI will mostly give you headaches, and that you will derive little, if any benefit from them. Sometimes, it is even detrimental to performance.

Further, support for SLI is disappearing.

Finally, at your monitor's 2560x1080 resolution, and, I think, max refresh of 75Hz, even a single 2080 is overkill. It's nice that you're getting the cards for free, but SLI is going to be effort and trouble for almost NO benefit in the best case, and possible performance detriment in the worst case.

Reactions: SgtScream