Question Sli gpu pcie cables

Mar 23, 2019
I'm trying to sli two gtx760s, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to power the second one. They both require 8 and 6+2 pcie male pins, but my psu (ultra atx 750) only has enough built in cables for one. It has two open female 8 pin pcie slots and 6 pin SATA/molex slots, so which pcie cable/s would I need?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Like built in or just extra cables, because i don't have the extra on hand

You need a new, quality PSU. This is an old, non-quality PSU. Even if it were a quality PSU, you can only use the cables that come with a semi-modular or modular PSU because these cables are not standardized on the PSU's end.

When people use their "own" cables, they're not using generic power cables, they're using aftermarket parts that are specifically configured for the correct pinout of the PSU in question. You'll see lots of (fairly costly) custom cables for people using various EVGA, SeaSonic, Corsair, Antec PSUs and the like. For Ultras...not so much, for the same reason you don't see a lot of aftermarket mod kits for 1988 Yugos.

Reactions: Doghead123

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Then you need a new PSU = RECOMMENDED or call the manufacturer of the power supply to see if PCIE cables are available to order. You can't use just any PCIE cable , they are all different. Using ones not designed for the PSU can result in damage to the PC and possibly the PSU.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 23, 2019
You need a new, quality PSU. This is an old, non-quality PSU. Even if it were a quality PSU, you can only use the cables that come with a semi-modular or modular PSU because these cables are not standardized on the PSU's end.

When people use their "own" cables, they're not using generic power cables, they're using aftermarket parts that are specifically configured for the correct pinout of the PSU in question. You'll see lots of (fairly costly) custom cables for people using various EVGA, SeaSonic, Corsair, Antec PSUs and the like. For Ultras...not so much, for the same reason you don't see a lot of aftermarket mod kits for 1988 Yugos.
I see thanks. Any PSU recommendations for sli 760s?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I see thanks. Any PSU recommendations for sli 760s?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($87.63 @ Amazon)
Total: $87.63
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-23 11:46 EDT-0400

Note that I don't necessarily recommend going SLI. Support for SLI/Crossfire has gotten much worse in recent years, being more trouble than its worth for manufacturers, so a second GTX 760 will tend to scale very poorly with the exception of very specific games. Given the lack of scaling, an RX 570 will perform better than SLI 760s more often than not, especially if these are 2 GB 760s. You can still sell used 760s for $50-$70 on eBay and with 570s in the low $100s and 580s under $200, I'd be looking for a single-GPU solution.

Mar 23, 2019
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($87.63 @ Amazon)
Total: $87.63
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-23 11:46 EDT-0400

Note that I don't necessarily recommend going SLI. Support for SLI/Crossfire has gotten much worse in recent years, being more trouble than its worth for manufacturers, so a second GTX 760 will tend to scale very poorly with the exception of very specific games. Given the lack of scaling, an RX 570 will perform better than SLI 760s more often than not, especially if these are 2 GB 760s. You can still sell used 760s for $50-$70 on eBay and with 570s in the low $100s and 580s under $200, I'd be looking for a single-GPU solution.
I got the second 760 for free so I thought I might as well just sli since I'm not really looking to upgrade