[SOLVED] SLI GPU's locked at 100/200% usage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 6, 2021
Recently I started to notice decreased performance while playing games and noticed that the combined usage of my GPUs would never go above 100. For example, GPU1 would be at 70% usage and GPU2 would be at 30% usage. I ran a stress test with MSI Kombuster and saw GPU1 at 99% and GPU2 at 1%. This only started happening recently. Any ideas on what would be causing this?

I have two GTX 1080's in SLI, Win10, newest Nvidia Drivers installed, and DX12.

Solution
Gpu #1 is graphics output. Uses a whole different section of the card to Gpu #2, which is nothing more than supplementary support for computational power. So while both gpus work to decide what and where and which stuff goes on screen, Gpu #1 is doing the lions share of the actual work.

If there's any work to be done. SLI support is intrinsically dead, only held up realistically in a few older games running DX11, as it's not supported in DX12, which is MGPU based. If using DX12 to test SLI, you'll get funky results, I'd look into using a much older copy of Kombuster that uses DX11 base instead.

Most game updates are not updating the SLI, if there's any real support to start with, because that's a hugely unnecessary expense in both...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Gpu #1 is graphics output. Uses a whole different section of the card to Gpu #2, which is nothing more than supplementary support for computational power. So while both gpus work to decide what and where and which stuff goes on screen, Gpu #1 is doing the lions share of the actual work.

If there's any work to be done. SLI support is intrinsically dead, only held up realistically in a few older games running DX11, as it's not supported in DX12, which is MGPU based. If using DX12 to test SLI, you'll get funky results, I'd look into using a much older copy of Kombuster that uses DX11 base instead.

Most game updates are not updating the SLI, if there's any real support to start with, because that's a hugely unnecessary expense in both manpower and upload size. Ppl like EA would rather PO the 0.1% still using SLI, than PO the 99.9% who aren't by tripling the size of the update/download.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.