tobargy

Honorable
Mar 19, 2015
Hello

My build is:
ASUS MAXIMUS VII FORMULA
2x GTX 980ti hydro copper
i7 4790k

I have tested this build a year ago and I had to leave it back home because am going to university, I have got it shipped here, everything seems fine.. the GPUs light up when the PC is running but the second card would'nt get detected by Nvidia control panel.

I have updated the drivers and tried to reinstall them with no luck. I have read that there might be an option to turn SLI on in the BIOS, looked there and found nothing about that option.

am wondering if the problem is the SLI bridge, btw I have a custom water cooling loop in there, so I might not be able to get the card out and switch them :/
I will update to windows 10, should I update and check if it works or try to fix it before updating.

Solution

You are welcome!

I think you should be able to use the third PCI slot as long as it is capable of at least x8 PCI lanes if the motherboard maker claims it can do 3-way SLI. Just make sure you have a long PCI bridge. One of the inexpensive flexible ones of proper length should be more than adequate.

c4s2k3

Reputable
Sep 17, 2015
When you say it is not detected by the control panel, what do you mean? Does the NV control panel show both cards present? It should even if SLI is disabled.

Assuming they are present, make sure there is no monitor connected to the 2nd card, the SLI bridge is on, and see if you get the enable SLI option in the control panel.

Following that, try switching which side the bridge is on. There are two sets of connectors for SLI on each card, just move the bridge to the other one and try again.

tobargy

Honorable
Mar 19, 2015

would it update in realtime if it detects it? or would I need to restart?
Its not showing both cards, only one (am guessing the one that is plugged to the monitor.

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished
Well, a few things, do you have the cards in the right slots? The board (if I have the right one) has 3 x16 slots, but two of them are PCI3.0 and one is PCI2.0 and the PCI2.0 x16 slot is only wired for x4 mode. SLI won't work at all with the x4 slot.

BUT - it should still be detected. I would try removing the SLI bridge and see if it's detected. I have SLI'd 960s, and removing the bridge triggers a notification in the control panel. And - since you had it shipped, I would check and reset the SLI bridge. Vibrations during shipping may have caused it to work loose.

tobargy

Honorable
Mar 19, 2015

Update: I have tried connecting the bridge in all the possible ways
it doesnt detect it without the bridge either

I have the cards in the top 2 red slots and I have had it work in sli before shipping it
am going to try to move the bridge around, hopefully it'll work

c4s2k3

Reputable
Sep 17, 2015

You want the monitor plugged in the card closest to the CPU on the motherboard. Even if SLI bridge was "off" or not properly connected, both cards should show up in the control panel. Since you said it worked in SLI previously and you don't want to remove the cards due to cooling loop, I assume they are in adequate slots. Do make sure they are pushed all the way into the slots. Also check the power cables. Even if you don't remove the cards, you should be able to remove/reseat the power cables to make sure.

Don't mess with the bridge while power is on. Shut down, perform all the checks and re-seating of connectors, and power up again.

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished

Yeah sorry bout that, realized it after posting. :) Also, make sure all connections are tight (as in cards seated, PEG power connectors fully seated... etc)

tobargy

Honorable
Mar 19, 2015

I just tried to push it in as far as i can (afraid of the Mobo just breaking) fixed the bridge to the GPUs and no luck
I do have it plugged to the one closest to the monitor.

I can get a new bridge if that is the problem here

tobargy

Honorable
Mar 19, 2015

both cards are lighting up (think that is because its plugged to the PSU) but the one on the bottom doesnt seem to be detected, I tried to push it as far in as possible waiting for the clip sound (afraid of breaking the mobo)

c4s2k3

Reputable
Sep 17, 2015

I am concerned that 2nd card is not detected. It really should show up in the NV control panel under "Configure Surround, PhysX" regardless of SLI capability or state.

Click the WIndows 'Start' button and type 'Device Manager', then click that to start it. Go down to 'Display Adapters' and click to open that. DO you see two NVIDIA adapters listed? If so, right click on each one and if yopu get the 'Enable' option in one of then, click that. Then re-open NV control panel and see.

tobargy

Honorable
Mar 19, 2015

I just checked, there is only one, guess that means the second one is not plugged into the mobo's socket?

c4s2k3

Reputable
Sep 17, 2015

Yeah, I think that's generally an indication WIndows does not see it. Could be a problem with the card, or the mobo. Unless someone else here has any other ideas, diagnosing further is probably going to be difficult without at least trying the card in a different slot. One last thing I though ot but I don't know if it's an option in your case. Some mobos have options to reconfigure/turn off PCI slots. Might check for any such options in BIOS and make sure the slot if enabled and fully capable.

tobargy

Honorable
Mar 19, 2015

do i check the device manager again with the bridge off? I have checked there already, there is an option to pick the primary display i think, Auto, integrated CPU, PEG, PCIE
its set to auto

when i checked in the bios it only detected the top GPU
the other one wasnt detected "not present"

c4s2k3

Reputable
Sep 17, 2015

Worth a try. Turn power off first.

tobargy

Honorable
Mar 19, 2015

its still the same, only one showing :/

c4s2k3

Reputable
Sep 17, 2015

I don't know how to diagnose further without trying the card in a different slot. That would tell you if you have a problem with the card or the mobo. I know you wanted to avoid that due to cooling loop. Unless anyone else here has any bright ideas, that is probably the next step.

tobargy

Honorable
Mar 19, 2015

I just disconnected the clasp and got the second gpu a bit out of the slot and put it right back and clicked, and there is no luck there either, I guess its the motherboard.. is there a mobo update driver or is it just a BIOS issue

c4s2k3

Reputable
Sep 17, 2015

If it's in the same GPU in the same slot, we don't actually know it's an issue with the mobo. Could be something wrong with the GPU itself. If you remove both GPUs and put the one that is not responding now in the first PCI slot, leave the known good one out, restart the system and you can get it to come up, that would point to an issue with the slot in the mobo.

Also, I don't recall from the thread, have you tried it with no SLI bridge at all and see if both cards show up?

tobargy

Honorable
Mar 19, 2015

I tried and it didn't show up
I will empty the loop tomorrow and try to run the both GPUs on the slot

Would it work if i had one GPU on the second slot to check if the slot is working or not? (I am not sure if the mobo would detect if the first slot is empty and the second one is mounted)

c4s2k3

Reputable
Sep 17, 2015

It should but if in doubt, just try the known 'bad' or questionable GPU in the first slot. Sounds like you're taking them both out anyway.

Maybe someone else can chime in with any additional things you can try before tearing it all apart.

BTW, I don't know jack about custom loops, but wouldn't turning the system on with an empty loop be bad for whatever is served by the loop (GPUs, CPU, if you have that in the loop too)?

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished
He should be able to turn it on for a -little- bit if he has it on it's side or with a fan or something blowing on it. It really only goes to 'full power' when it's loaded, when it's just displaying windows 2d stuff it's drawing minimal wattage. As long as he keeps it on for a short amount of time it should be ok.

tobargy

Honorable
Mar 19, 2015

I have 14 fans in there so the only thing that might affect the empty loop is running the pump dry which am not going to do as I will plug the pump off and run the PC and test it

Feelsbadman I just filled the PC yesterday and had it run for 12 hours as a leak test and now I have to do that again :-:
not to mention if the motherboard was faulty I will have to wait even more :C

tobargy

Honorable
Mar 19, 2015

I took both GPUs out and flipped them and started the PC and it didnt detect the one on the bottom, guess its not the GPU then.

c4s2k3

Reputable
Sep 17, 2015

Sounds like a mobo issue. Unless there some kind of configuration in BIOS that would disable the slot or put it in a weird state, then it looks like perhaps it s damaged.