[SOLVED] SLI option not showing up under Nvidia control panel. I think I know why but I dont know how to fix it.

Strangeclouds1793

Commendable
Jul 3, 2019
Recently bought a new motherboard when the last one died after 6 years of service. I'm trying to enable SLI for my 2x 980TI on my new mobo. I have done SLI before but never had this issue where the SLI option isn't appearing under Nvidia Control panel. After doing some research I've found out you need to be in x8/x8 pcie lane, whatever that means, I looked up my system info for my graphic card and one is in x16 and the other in x4. I know both need to be x8 in order for it to SLI. But i dont know enough about Pcie bus lanes to know how to make that happen.

Hardware:

My mother board is a: Asus ROG Strix z590-e (yes it does support SLI, says so on the product page and on the box, that's the reason I bought this one)
CPU: i5-11600k
GPU: 2 x 980Ti
Hard drive: Samsung nvme m.2 950 pro

I have 1 card in slot 1 and the other in slot 2. I also have a nvme m.2 samsung 950 pro installed.

Yes everything is in tight, and Yes the SLI bridge works, been using it for 6 years.

Like I mentioned, I dont know to make it so it runs in x8/x8 instead of the x16/x4 I think that's the reason its not allowing me to SLI. check the screenshots below.

View: https://imgur.com/a/dcilvbU

Joseph_138

Distinguished
What driver version are you using? Starting January 1st of this year, NVidia officially dropped SLi support from their drivers. You may have to revert to a driver released before that date. SLi functionality is game dependent now, and there aren't a lot of games released in the last few years that still support it. You might be better off selling the 980Ti's and getting a 3080.

Strangeclouds1793

Commendable
Jul 3, 2019
What driver version are you using? Starting January 1st of this year, NVidia officially dropped SLi support from their drivers. You may have to revert to a driver released before that date. SLi functionality is game dependent now, and there aren't a lot of games released in the last few years that still support it. You might be better off selling the 980Ti's and getting a 3080.
driver is up to date

Strangeclouds1793

Commendable
Jul 3, 2019
I figured it out, Under BIOS, set PCIE configuration to Pcie16_1 + Pcie_2, I had it before as Pcie16_1 + Pcie_2 + m.2 because I thought u need x4 for the m.2. but changing that setting and restarting brought back the SLI option.