SLI power target issue

deviate_sic_01

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
I'm wondering if it's normal that my cards never reach more than 80% power even when I set the power targets to well over 100% in Precision X and turn Kboost on.

I don't really get any throttling, the speeds are constant through Firestrike and ungine, I do eventually hit 80 degrees on the top card but that's an issue with cooling I need to sort out.

I'm running a Gigabyte GTX 780 Ghz edition @ 1201Mhz Boost and 3304Mhz Ram and an EVGA GTX 780 SC @ 1140Mhz & 3304Mhz on a z97x Fatal1ty Killer board.

An I5 4690k Devils canyon @ 4.6 1.24v

and my PSU is an Ocz 750w Bronze Fatal1ty

Any ideas? I do know I'm approaching my PSU limit because I stuck another fan in the other day and kept getting system shut down when I started an intensive game.

Could this be down to the PSU not delivering enough power? It's stable without the extra fan..

My guess is that the card is reaching a thermal target before reaching a power target. Additional cooling may help.
On the power supply, without overclocking your system would be drawing over 600W on the +12V rails.
I think you need to be looking at a quality 850W supply. EVGA Supernova G2 850 is very good value for a top quality supply.

deviate_sic_01

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012

Hmm, Possibly but checking the graphs throttling shouldn't commence until high 70's and the power draw never goes above 80% even when first starting out and temps are in the high 50's

I do actually have a CM V1000 Gold on the way, so I'll get to test it out tomorrow, just thought I'd ask around, it's my first SLI set up so I don't even know if the cards should/will run at 100% power at all.

I also have a corsair graphite case on the way so I can get better airflow and better cable management on the go, should help with the air cooling.