SLI Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheeseburger1096

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
Hi,

I was wondering if it was possible to have 2 cards that are SLI'ed (I don't know how you would really say that... "using SLI"?), and then one that is not using SLI. Basically my idea is to have 2 cards on one monitor and then another card powering a different monitor. Or if that would not be the best thing to do, could I tri SLI and then hook up two monitors to one card that is hooked to the other two? I realize I am being confusing so if you need clarification just ask.

Thanks

Solution
What he wants to do is have two cards in sli for one monitor and then a third card not linked to the other two for a seperate display on a second monitor. You can do that it's not a problem , but it's what is going to be diplayed on the second monitor is the issue. If you want an extended desktop which is what you get with multiple monitors then all the cards are to be connected together. You can connect two cards in sli and connect them to two monitors for the extended desktop , if you have three cards then you connect all three in 3-way sli and connect them to the two monitors for the extended desktop.

Is that what you are trying to do. You are talking about sli so you must have Nvidia cards correct? Just to clarify , you can connect...
SLI is linking to cards so that they work together to produce the same image.What I think your trying to do is produce 3 different images.

Are you trying to use 3 different monitors all being independent or what?

A single Nvidia card can support a max of 2 monitors.After that you will need a 2nd card to produce 2 more.

That was very confusing.

cheeseburger1096

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011

Let me just try re-asking. Using SLI could I have 2 monitors? Also, If I SLI 2 cards, could I have a 3rd individual one, producing a different image?

What he wants to do is have two cards in sli for one monitor and then a third card not linked to the other two for a seperate display on a second monitor. You can do that it's not a problem , but it's what is going to be diplayed on the second monitor is the issue. If you want an extended desktop which is what you get with multiple monitors then all the cards are to be connected together. You can connect two cards in sli and connect them to two monitors for the extended desktop , if you have three cards then you connect all three in 3-way sli and connect them to the two monitors for the extended desktop.

Is that what you are trying to do. You are talking about sli so you must have Nvidia cards correct? Just to clarify , you can connect two monitors to one card , you can connect two monitors to two cards in two way sli and you can connect two monitors to three cards in 3-way sli.

Solution

cheeseburger1096

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011

This answered my question, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.