Sli slot on Motherboard won't Display

Johnnie Butters

Reputable
Feb 9, 2015
I have two EVGA 970 FTW cards an a EVGA Z97 FTW motherboard. I don't know what happen but I came back from lunch and my screen was black, I restarted and the two cards startup with the fans on then shut off shortly after when windows loads. This is all a guess as the GPUs won't display anything. On board GPU works so it's not the PSU, CPU, Memory. Also most importantly if I take one of the GPUs out and put it into a non SLI slot it works just fine.

Entomber

Admirable
"I restarted and the two cards startup with the fans on then shut off shortly after when windows loads"

that sounds like a shut down to me. if your "Corsair 750W" is a CX750, I personally would not run a SLI setup on that PSU.

so you have no issues at the moment with both cards plugged in in SLI?

Johnnie Butters

Reputable
Feb 9, 2015
Please don't tell me what i can and cannot run, I'm tired of people looking down on Corsair Power supplies. It runs just fine, I have had this setup for a month now and had not one issue. I had a 750 Ti on a Corsair 400W power supply for 2 years and had no issues. 750W is plenty for 970 SLI. If i am here now tying via HDMI output, It's clearly not the power supply. I was saying the fans shut off after startup, Which is probably due to them being too cool. The fans don't kick on until 62c according to the box. My question is simple. How can a Display port cable just fail like that? Sorry for the rant.

Entomber

Admirable
I'm interested how you were able to use a GTX 750Ti, which has been out for less than 13 months, for "2 years." Furthermore, the power spec for a GTX 750Ti is extremely low, much less than a GTX 970. I'm not trying to argue with you, I'm simply suggesting potential diagnoses, but I think it would better help you out if you just answered my questions instead of going off on a rant.

Again, your computer is working completely fine with both GPUs plugged in SLI, all you did was change your port from DisplayPort to HDMI?

When you used just one GPU, did you use DisplayPort as well to verify that it worked properly?