SLi v Non

nastymat

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
Is it really worth going SLi?

I am thinking of getting the E6600, I fancy OC'ing a bit, so thought that the Asus P5N32 SLI Mobo would be the best choice.

As I was going for the 768Mb Asus 8800GTX but correct me if I am wrong but Nvidia do not support SLi yet. I was thinking.. in the future when my machine starts to lag slap in another GTX. Now if I can't (due to Nvidia not supporting SLi) I may as well go for the Asus P5B Deluxe.

Should I go for the SLi machine anyway and hope Nvidia sort out the issue. Or have I missed the point somewhere?

NM

uri

Distinguished
May 24, 2004
You've just described the most common reason to use SLI, take a look at current benchmarks to decide if it's wroth the $ (though I think that future drivers will improve those numbers). you can look at Tom's interactive charts.

As for Nvidia not supporting SLI - where did you hear that? Nvidia are the only one with SLI (ATI has crossfire which is a bit different), all the recent cards from Nvidia support it, even models like the 8600GT where it would be a really bad use of money.

nastymat

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
I read this on page 4 of the Marathon 2 system builder stuff on the front page:

"Also note that nVidia drivers still don't support SLI on Intel chipsets - even after a competing merger made these friendlier "

If they do support SLi then I will defo go for that.

uri

Distinguished
May 24, 2004
I read this on page 4 of the Marathon 2 system builder stuff on the front page:

"Also note that nVidia drivers still don't support SLI on Intel chipsets - even after a competing merger made these friendlier "

If they do support SLi then I will defo go for that.

That is true but the 650 / 680 chipsets are Nvidia chipsets that do support SLI.

jakeradden

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
Which is odd considering that ATI = AMD..... Would make more sence to be the other way around but "shrug" whatever. I know that I have a SLI mobo, an ASUS, but I never have, and most likely never will, use it. Commonly, if you're going to build a SLI system, your bottleneck isn't in your graphics card. (I know mine's RAM)