SLI: What if one video-card of a pair fails ??

For SLI, the video cards will probably initially be sold in pairs,
since they need to have identical BIOS, memory-size and
functionality.

However, nVidia is working with their card-vendors on a
SLI-certification program, which <<might>> allow some mixing
of cards of different age or manufacturer.Let's see what finally turns
up.

One of my major concerns ( and nVidia's no doubt ):-

What happens if one card of the pair fails, say 1 year later ?
Can I get a functionally identical replacement at that time ?

Certainly will be a challenge for the reputable vendors
such as BFG with life-time warranties. Replace the pair ?

It will definitely NOT be a good idea to purchase a SLI-pair
from PNY !!!!

John Lewis

They will just sell dual packs of SLI cards, like dual channel memory. Both
tested etc.

lol...wonder who much one of those dual card packs will cost?

> For SLI, the video cards will probably initially be sold in pairs,
> since they need to have identical BIOS, memory-size and
> functionality.
>
> However, nVidia is working with their card-vendors on a
> SLI-certification program, which <<might>> allow some mixing
> of cards of different age or manufacturer.Let's see what finally turns
> up.
>
> One of my major concerns ( and nVidia's no doubt ):-
>
> What happens if one card of the pair fails, say 1 year later ?
> Can I get a functionally identical replacement at that time ?
>
> Certainly will be a challenge for the reputable vendors
> such as BFG with life-time warranties. Replace the pair ?
>
> It will definitely NOT be a good idea to purchase a SLI-pair
> from PNY !!!!
>
> John Lewis

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 18:40:27 -0000, "Richard Dower"
<richarddower@hotmail.com> wrote:

>They will just sell dual packs of SLI cards, like dual channel memory. Both
>tested etc.
>
>lol...wonder who much one of those dual card packs will cost?

Please re-read ALL of my original (and very short) posting.........

Then, please engage brain before engaging typing fingers, please !

Please....

John Lewis

> On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 18:40:27 -0000, "Richard Dower"
> <richarddower@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>They will just sell dual packs of SLI cards, like dual channel memory.
>>Both
>>tested etc.
>>
>>lol...wonder who much one of those dual card packs will cost?
>>

> Please re-read ALL of my original (and very short) posting.........
>
> Then, please engage brain before engaging typing fingers, please !
>
> Please....
>
> John Lewis

Yes Sir.

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 23:22:09 -0000, "Richard Dower"
<richarddower@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"John Lewis" <john.dsl@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 18:40:27 -0000, "Richard Dower"
>> <richarddower@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>They will just sell dual packs of SLI cards, like dual channel memory.
>>>Both
>>>tested etc.
>>>
>>>lol...wonder who much one of those dual card packs will cost?
>>>

>> Please re-read ALL of my original (and very short) posting.........
>>
>> Then, please engage brain before engaging typing fingers, please !
>>
>> Please....
>>
>> John Lewis
>
>Yes Sir.

Thanks Richard... Sorry that you got the side-swipe.

Anyway, do you have any comments on my concern in the
original posting ?

John Lewis

If one of the SLI cards broke an year later, the market probably will have a
single card with the performance of the year old SLI card pair and cost as
much single SLI card you had bought an year ago readily available. So why
bother :p

"John Lewis" <john.dsl@verizon.net> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D:41b5e2eb.5527750@news.verizon.net...