SLI: what's the point?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kryojenix

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
I'm playing Oblivion on my 3y.o. Radeon9700Pro - I was quite sad at first to turn off distant landscape/trees/stuff and even AA (plus I can only run at 1280x720, though it recommended 640x480
- quoting myself ...

Yes, I'm playing that on my 1920x1200 24"LCD!! :oops:

But it's still intensely fun! :lol:
Though it does look that much more delicious in 1920x1200 (I tried for a while to see - makes you want to eat your greens! - and on my compu it got choppy at times) so I've understood the temptation to get ANY up to date GPU platform incl. SLI/Crossfire.

But I'm waiting for a worthier successor to my Radeon 9700Pro than two 7900GT's or GTX's (also need new PCI-Ex m/board, and therefore new processor ... - all of this might have something to do with my reason to hold out ... [then again, I tend to hold out a lot, otherwise I'd have got myself that (old) BMW M5 by now]) - actually, I'm probably an ATi fanboy and waiting for them to work out how to make single slot top shelf cards again.

For some reason, in my head, getting dual GPU's with one for graphics and one for physics seems more reasonable to me than dual GPU's just for graphics. Probably because they won't have to be brand matched or sitting in a particular chipset m/board.

A lot of you are speaking of getting one graphics card and then another matching one down the track cheaply. That's fair enough whether you're at the midrange or high-end, but there're also heaps of folks who get SLI setups outright. Personally, I think ATi and nVidia or the board manufacturers should put a greater effort into making single cards with dual GPU for these types of folks. A card that would work on any m/board and chipset. That's something I'd consider getting - because it's only using up one PCI-Ex16 slot (and has a good chance of filling its bandwidth) and it's worth putting up with one dual slot card maybe, but two is stupid (I know, I know - go nVidia)