Slight humming sound from my pc

Aug 27, 2018
The humming sound is fairly quiet but since its new i want to know what it is, it only does it on gat since for some reason i cant run it, even though my rig can gta in 4k,i have no hdd so thats out.
My psu is a RM650x (2018)

Solution

kdstoecklin

Commendable
Dec 20, 2018

Humming noises are ussually caused by fans.
The first thing I would try is the power supply.
I' ve read online several complaints from Corsair Power Supplies´s users about a humming noise coming from them. Corsair technical support tells them to try flip the PSU upside down, so that sound stops. Check if that works ( I guess you can claim your warranty in that case though).

If that is not the case I would suggest troublleshooting all your system case fans, cpu, and gpu fans, to see where the problem is.

Since you don't have HDDs I don´t know if that sound could be from another component

Aug 27, 2018

sounds like its coming from the top fan, and ill choke my psu if i flip it upside down

Power supplies can be oriented any which way.
Usually, the intake should be from the outside to provide better cooling for the psu.
But, intake from the inside is ok if that reduces a noise that is bothering you.
If what you hear is not fan noise, it could be coil whine, not uncommon for a psu.
Don't know if coil whine is a valid reason for a RMA, but you could try.

Solution

kdstoecklin

Commendable
Dec 20, 2018

Have you tried tu unplug the top fan and then turn the PC on?

Aug 27, 2018

what is RMA? its only noticeable when my fans go up so its not really bothering me too much had it on my last pc died out quickly.

RMA is a Return Merchandise Authorization.
Used to return a defective product under warranty.