Question Slightly blurry/pixelated effect while image is in motion.

-Ash22-

Honorable
Oct 15, 2015
I've recently built my first PC and something is bothering me, everytime the image/camera moves in a game or video the effect from title's occur, I've tried changing increasing the monitor's refresh rate, disabling vsync, but it was still there...

Now the curious part is, when I tried to screenshot the issue , the image was completely normal in the pic. Any idea on what it could be?

Monitor: Philips 221V8L

GPU: GTX 970

see if the display has any blur-reduction options in it's OSD menu.
there can also be other types of filters the display uses that you may want to try disabling if you find them there.

if the distortion/blur occurs while in-game but not in screenshots it is more than likely the display itself not able to display the motion properly.

-Ash22-

Honorable
Oct 15, 2015
There's no option related to blur reduction in OSD, also its not even really a blur, its more like a blocky pixelation that makes the image looks slightly blurry while in motion. I've used laptops my entire life and never seen something like this, so I'm really confused.

Last edited:

-Ash22-

Honorable
Oct 15, 2015
try another output like to a TV or something and see if it's also gone there.
this would confirm that it is the display itself.

you can record the screen with a hi-res video from phone or camera,
upload to Youtube or other video sharing site, and link here.

Unfortunately my phone's camera isn't good enough to properly record the issue. But I'll eventually try with another monitor.

Your monitor use VA (vertical alignment) instead of IPS
https://www.philips.com.hk/en/c-p/221V8L_69/lcd-monitor

Check this video:
View: https://youtu.be/34bqY7CToHg?t=292
Interesting, but doesn't really looks like the issue I'm dealing with. Also, how come I've never seen anything like that? Are laptop screens and TVs usually better than monitors?

Just a reminder that this only happens on games and videos, scrolling websites or images have no effect.

-Ash22-

Honorable
Oct 15, 2015
Just giving a quick update, turns out its not pixelation exactly, but vertical lines, I found out by running this test. Reducing the speed to 60pixels/sec pretty much normalized the image, and pausing obviously displayed it normally. Can you guys make something out of this?