Question Slightly widened left screwholes next to processer by mistake while installing cooler

onizukaeikichi

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2014
Hi everyone, I made a mistake (first time replacing a processor) while installing processor's stock cooler by screwing in the 2 left holes slightly off the mark. Due to that, the left screwholes are widen slightly to the right.
As of now, the PC & fans can turn on, GPU & CPU test results are as follow:
Heaven UNIGINE 8859
CPU-Z benchmark 4842 (Multi-Thread (12T))

I managed to find myself a torchlight to get pictures of both screwholes and also a picture of where exactly are those 2 screw holes.
Refer to my post below (forum doesnt seems to allow me to duplicate links)

Both looks to be within the circle drawn around the screwhole (which I assume is the safe zone?). Would like to hear what you think.

Does anyone know if the widen hole isnt a concern and are there any sort of test I can do to check?
Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

onizukaeikichi

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2014
Thanks! I also read from somewhere that they wouldnt put anything important next to a screwhole which makes sense.

I played an hour of gaming and the cores max temp is 74.1 degrees based on hwmonitor (NVIDIA's optimal range is between 70 and 85 degrees Celsius).

Thanks! I also read from somewhere that they wouldnt put anything important next to a screwhole which makes sense.

I played an hour of gaming and the cores max temp is 74.1 degrees based on hwmonitor (NVIDIA's optimal range is between 70 and 85 degrees Celsius).
Do you have control of the cooler fan speed or is it static? 74c is a little warm but not a bad temp. I usually try to keep my cpu temp around 70c

onizukaeikichi

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2014
What cpu and motherboard are you talking about?

Normally, if a cpu is at idle, a functioning and properly mounted cooler will run at 10-15c. over ambient for Intel and perhaps 10c. more for ryzen.

Should have included them in the first:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 6C/12T Unlocked 4.4GHz AM4 65W
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK AM4 ATX Motherboard

Here's the hwmonitor stats after about 2 hours of playing apex legends
View: https://imgur.com/a/fwTc583

Not sure what you meant by static fan (not controllable?) but based on MSI centre, the fan fluctuates from 55% to 95% with temps max 70c during gaming.

Based on my phone, indoor room temp is 24.6c

Based on what I gather from the replies so far, the motherboard should be fine and the question is if the cooler is doing its job (sticking on the processor)?
Please let me know if I am misintepreting the questions.

Last edited:
Your temperatures are nominal.
Both at idle and at max.
Ryzen tends to idle a bit higher than intel, 40c. is ok,
Do not worry too much about temperatures.
Modern processors monitor their temperatures and will throttle or shut off if it detects a dangerous temperature.
That is about 95c. for ryzen.

onizukaeikichi

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2014
Your temperatures are nominal.
Both at idle and at max.
Ryzen tends to idle a bit higher than intel, 40c. is ok,
Do not worry too much about temperatures.
Modern processors monitor their temperatures and will throttle or shut off if it detects a dangerous temperature.
That is about 95c. for ryzen.

Thats good to know.

I managed to find myself a torchlight to get pictures of both screwholes and also a picture of where exactly are those 2 screw holes.
View: https://imgur.com/a/yCEhk8E

Both looks to be within the circle drawn around the screwhole (which I assume is the safe zone?). Would like to hear what you think.

Last edited:

onizukaeikichi

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2014
Update to this question:
I called MSI and they told me the enlarged hole looks too natural/manufactured and its by design to accommodate different type of cooler mounts + it doesnt touch any circuit. All in all, nothing to worry about. Absolute relief! :)

TRENDING THREADS