[SOLVED] Slow and unresponsive laptop

Youssef El-harty

Reputable
Nov 30, 2016
My Hp 15-da0017nx is very slow and unresponsive, it takes roughly 7 minutes to boot and apps are not responding most of the time

I have a 1 TB hard drive with only one partition and I think that is the problem.
I tried to partition the hard drive but it said that I couldn't create any partition more than 10 Gb though I have 300 Gb of free storage.

any thoughts?

Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7-8550U
Ram: 8Gb DDR4-2400
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce MX130‎ 4Gb
HDD: 1 TB 5400rpm

Solution
Your laptop has failry good specs apart from the storage. Get a SSD (at least 120gb), and install fresh Windows on it. You'll be surprised how good it runs. Then get a USB-to-SATA enclosure, and put your 1TB drive there to use as data / backup.

If you can't do that - find a way to backup all your data, then repartition the HDD to have eg 250gb primary Windows partition, and install fresh Windows.
Your laptop has failry good specs apart from the storage. Get a SSD (at least 120gb), and install fresh Windows on it. You'll be surprised how good it runs. Then get a USB-to-SATA enclosure, and put your 1TB drive there to use as data / backup.

If you can't do that - find a way to backup all your data, then repartition the HDD to have eg 250gb primary Windows partition, and install fresh Windows.

Solution

Youssef El-harty

Reputable
Nov 30, 2016

I bought a Lexar 250gb Nvme SSD and I want to know how to backup the windows 10 that i have to the new drive without losing the data on the HDD

Best to ask for advice BEFORE you buy.
A ssd upgrade is a good idea, but since some 700gb is already in use on your laptop, you no longer have an easy upgrade. Data will persist, but, you will have to reinstatll all apps that used the registry(That will be most all)
You will need to do a clean windows install on the m.2 device as well as reinstalling your programs.

My advice would have been to buy a 1tb 980 samsung pcie m.2 ssd.
Use the free samsung ssd migration app to move the whole contents of the C drive hdd to the ssd,
Change the boot order, and you are done.
Here is a link to the app and instructions.
There may well be some cheaper ssd devices out there, but none as good as samsung.
You will have to get a clone utility and figure out how to run it.
The lexar uses slower TLC nand vs. MLC and offers only a 1 year warranty vs. 5 years for samsung. I would return it if I could.

You will want to view a youtube video of the mechanical HDD replacement process.
One like this:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcNEeFUdUgs

While you are at it, why not add a second 8gb dimm of ram to get faster dual channel operation.
Crucial would suggest his one:
https://www.crucial.com/memory/ddr4/ct8g4sfs824a/ct13304161

Youssef El-harty

Reputable
Nov 30, 2016
Best to ask for advice BEFORE you buy.
A ssd upgrade is a good idea, but since some 700gb is already in use on your laptop, you no longer have an easy upgrade. Data will persist, but, you will have to reinstatll all apps that used the registry(That will be most all)
You will need to do a clean windows install on the m.2 device as well as reinstalling your programs.

My advice would have been to buy a 1tb 980 samsung pcie m.2 ssd.
Use the free samsung ssd migration app to move the whole contents of the C drive hdd to the ssd,
Change the boot order, and you are done.
Here is a link to the app and instructions.
There may well be some cheaper ssd devices out there, but none as good as samsung.
You will have to get a clone utility and figure out how to run it.
The lexar uses slower TLC nand vs. MLC and offers only a 1 year warranty vs. 5 years for samsung. I would return it if I could.

You will want to view a youtube video of the mechanical HDD replacement process.
One like this:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcNEeFUdUgs

While you are at it, why not add a second 8gb dimm of ram to get faster dual channel operation.
Crucial would suggest his one:
https://www.crucial.com/memory/ddr4/ct8g4sfs824a/ct13304161
Well, with the money i had at the time i didn't have many options so i went with the Lexar one.
I won't do a full data migration, I was planing to do some clean up anyway.

At the moment I will install windows and the important apps first and deal with the others later after i clean up the hard drive.
I know it's not the most convenient solution but with the time and money i have its the best i could do.