[SOLVED] Slow Asus Vivobook windows 10

Dec 30, 2019
I have a ASUS vivobook E203MA (Celeron, 2gb ram, 64 gb disk) with windows 10 and its really slow. I use it for word processing and internet. It gets stuck and stutters when going back and forth from chrome to word.
The process manager shows high cpu, ram and disk usage.
I tried disabling many windows services, but still it’s slow.
does anyone know if i can upgrade the Ram or Disk?
should i try a slimmer OS?

Solution
The notebook is just underspecced for your use case.
It simply doesn't have enough cpu and memory resources for what you're trying to do - PLUS, Chrome is a ram HOG.

The cpu and memory are soldered. You can't replace either... I was thinking the ram would be ok to upgrade, but that's soldered too!

A bigger disk drive isn't going to help here. The needed fix - cpu and ram - can't even be fixed...

Why do you only have 2GBs of ram though? The specs for the notebook state 4GBs.
If you're actually running the 64-bit version:
Windows 10 Pro memory requirements: 1GB RAM for 32-bit; 2GB for 64-bit

Well, even if you did swap to the 32-bit version, Chrome by itself would likely use up...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The notebook is just underspecced for your use case.
It simply doesn't have enough cpu and memory resources for what you're trying to do - PLUS, Chrome is a ram HOG.

The cpu and memory are soldered. You can't replace either... I was thinking the ram would be ok to upgrade, but that's soldered too!

A bigger disk drive isn't going to help here. The needed fix - cpu and ram - can't even be fixed...

Why do you only have 2GBs of ram though? The specs for the notebook state 4GBs.
If you're actually running the 64-bit version:
Windows 10 Pro memory requirements: 1GB RAM for 32-bit; 2GB for 64-bit

Well, even if you did swap to the 32-bit version, Chrome by itself would likely use up the remaining memory still, changing nothing.

Solution
Dec 30, 2019
That’s really messed up to solder everything.
is there a less memory hogging browser i could try?
i configured 8 gb paging file but it seems not to help either.
Would it be a good idea to try linux?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

USAFRet

Titan
ASUS vivobook E203MA (Celeron, 2gb ram, 64 gb disk) with windows 10 and its really slow

Yes, that WILL be slow. That's just a result of underpowered hardware.
I have an Asus Transformer, and an older Toshiba laptop with mostly similar specs.
They are slow, not much good except as a small travel device/web browser.

Components are soldered to the board for cheap and size. Surface mount chips take less space than sockets.

Linux? What do you plan to use this for?