[SOLVED] Slow browsing speed, but no issues in other apps like Discord or games ?

Jul 13, 2022
Myself and my roommate recently moved into a new place, and recieved a new internet provider. His experience has been without flaws. However, I have not been able to enjoy the same service.

Some of the problems include:

• YouTube not being able to play videos without buffering, sometimes refusing to load at all
• Images not appearing on websites
• Exceptionally long load times

I have tried multiple browsers, and the problems extend to all of them.

Checking the internet speed, everything seems to be normal.

The thing that confuses me the most is the fact that I have no problems in games. My ping is as it should be, and apps like Discord work perfectly: calls do not drop and streaming works perfectly. Certain sites like Twitch and Netflix also seem to be unaffected.

Here are some of the things that I have tried:
• Resetting the router
• Using a different ethernet cable
• Using a different port on router
• Switching DNS
• Changing settings in browsers
• Deleting network adapters
• Removing firewall

My System:
Ryzen 7 3700x
ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming
Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB
EVGA RTX 3060
Windows 10 Pro

Lan: Intel(R) I211 Gigabit Network Connection (Wired)
ISP: Verizon Fios

Last edited:
So the first things I would try if is to disable IPv6 in the nic settings it causes strange issues and maybe your old ISP did not support IPv6 and the new one does.

You say you changed the dns but how did you do that. The default configuration uses the router as a proxy which the router send to the ISP dns server. Both those tend to cause issues.

You want to change the dns to something like 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1 in the IPv4 settings. In addition modern web browsers support encrypted dns. This will over ride the system settings so check if it is configured or set.

In the long run you likely want to use the encrypted DNS but windows OS itself ,with the correct patch level, now supports it. I know you can use 1.1.1.1 but google 8.8.8.8 is said to support it also.

Reactions: chp3250