Question Slow (C) boot drive - NVME - 2TB Crucial P3 2TB M.2 NVMe 3D TLC

Nov 18, 2023
Hello, I have a query about my boot disk, which seems to be unusually slow. My boot time is about 60-seconds, with the (C) drive running at around 100% for the next 60-seconds once booted. Understable that it's in use while loading apps, but I'm surprised an NVME is at 100% doing these tasks.

Currently I'm downloading software. In task manager, it says the (C) drive is at 100% and at 20MB/s READ and 200MB/s WRITE. This seems lower than the NVME's specs? The computer is currently running slow and clunky during this relatively small download.

The NVME in question is a 2TB Crucial P3 2TB M.2 NVMe 3D TLC PCIe SSD/Solid State Drive (CT2000P3SSD8) purchase about 2 years ago. Could it be a cache issue?

Computer specs:
Windows 11 - 23H2
13900kf
RTX A4000
64GB DDR5
2TB Crucial P3 2TB M.2 NVMe 3D TLC PCIe SSD/Solid State Drive
Many USB peripherals (about 8-10 inc. thunderbolt 3 x 2)
Other SSD's, NVME's and HDD's
Noctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler

Many thanks,
Will

Last edited:

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
My boot time is about 60-seconds, with the (C) drive running at around 100% for the next 60-seconds once booted.
My 7950X takes more than 50 seconds to boot Windows 10 according to Boot Racer and that excludes the time for the BIOS to detect additional PCIe cards (10GbE NIC and LSI HBA).

All my PCs spend time checking for Windows Updates after booting and this can take some time. For really old machines, I leave them for 10 to 20 minutes on the Second Tuesday of every Month, to sort things out.

Try disconnecting your computer from the internet and see if it settles down faster, after the Windows Desktop appears and all the icons have finished loading on the Taskbar.

I don't know if your machine spends any time "training" RAM like my Ryzen, but it's an added start up delay with DDR5.

There are plenty of programs to measure Windows boot up times and tell you where the delays are.
https://www.thewindowsclub.com/measure-boot-time-windows

Reactions: Willferox
Hello, I have a query about my boot disk, which seems to be unusually slow. My boot time is about 60-seconds, with the (C) drive running at around 100% for the next 60-seconds once booted. Understable that it's in use while loading apps, but I'm surprised an NVME is at 100% doing these tasks.

Currently I'm downloading software. In task manager, it says the (C) drive is at 100% and at 20MB/s READ and 200MB/s WRITE. This seems lower than the NVME's specs? The computer is currently running slow and clunky during this relatively small download.

The NVME in question is a 2TB Crucial P3 2TB M.2 NVMe 3D TLC PCIe SSD/Solid State Drive (CT2000P3SSD8) purchase about 2 years ago. Could it be a cache issue?

Computer specs:
Windows 11 - 23H2
13900kf
RTX A4000
64GB DDR5
2TB Crucial P3 2TB M.2 NVMe 3D TLC PCIe SSD/Solid State Drive
Many USB peripherals (about 8-10 inc. thunderbolt 3 x 2)
Other SSD's, NVME's and HDD's
Noctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler

Many thanks,
Will
Unplug all unneeded ext stuff.....test.
Make the startup group skinny.....test.

Reactions: Willferox
On the task manager startup tab you will see the last BIOS time.
Mine shows 13.1 seconds.

Are you using fast startup?
That reads a simple sequential file containing the last successful windows code.
That is faster than refreshing the code.

Then...
Why power on/off at all?
Try sleep to ram(no hibernate) instead
That puts the pc and monitor into a very low power state comparable to a full power off.
sleep/wake becomes a handful of seconds.

TRENDING THREADS