slow down after choosing save as to desktop

we have an xp pro client with a mapped network drive to a 2000 server.

On the desktop are variuos shortcuts to the mapped drive.
When selecting to save as the windows browser starts at the desktop.This is
where it will hang for a minute or two while the pc tries to display the
names on the shortcuts.

When the shortcuts are removed from the desktop the save as window displays
in good time.

I've checked the mapped drive and there is only 205 mb on it.I've also tried
saving to the same mapped drive from my xp workstation, it works fine on my
machine which leads me to believe the problem is with the users xp
workstation.

anyone gt any ideas?

Please take this question to the windowsxp.network_web newsgroup.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User