Slow download on EoP (Ethernet Over Power). Any fix?

Hoetan

Commendable
Jul 24, 2017
Hey all,

I am connected to the Australian NBN network with Aussie Broadband. I pay for 50mbps download and 20mbps upload (50/20). I am connected by FTTN (fibre to the node), and I am 800m away from a node. Bandwidth/CVC in my area is highly available, so congestion should not be a problem. (go to https://www.aussiebroadband.com.au/cvc-graphs/ and select "Mayfield" as that is the POI I am connected to).

On WiFi speedtests on my phone, I get 45mbps download and 18mbps upload (45/18). When I do a speedtest on my PC when using EoP (Ethernet Over Power), I get 10mbps download and 20mbps upload (10/20).

Any way to fix these slow speeds on EoP? I have not experienced this before, and it is getting quite frustrating!

Cheers in advance!

Solution
You're going to have to test using wired to see if the powerline is the issue.
A powerline isn't on a single use wire so it's nearly impossible to troubleshoot.
You can try other outlets and see if that helps. Using two unused ones on the same rail might work better.
Ethernet over power is not an ideal solution. It isn't that fast and if you have dirty power that can interfere with the signal. If I were you I'd look at getting a reasonable Wi-Fi card or USB adapter for your PC. They are't too expensive and will be much better than your EoP solution, which would actually be fine for something like a smart tv or set top box for streaming Netflix or something, but not so much for speedy downloads.

Hoetan

Commendable
Jul 24, 2017

No Ethernet card. Just using regular Ethernet port on motherboard.

Unsure of drivers, will check this arvo. New Windows Update may be to blame for slow speeds, because I've never experienced this until now.

Hoetan

Commendable
Jul 24, 2017

My internet speeds are overall not that "fast". Max I can get in terms of download is 50mbps, and I use to get around 47mbps on EoP.

Maybe there is a driver issue or something mucked up with the new Windows Update. Either way, I'll troubleshoot this arvo and if worse comes to worse, I'll buy a WiFi card.

It depends to a point on which powerline units you have. The newer one based on av2 standards do much better than the older models. The older av200 models get speeds about what you are posting in real life installations. The av500 are a little better but the newer av2-1200 or av2-1000 device can get over 100mbps

Hoetan

Commendable
Jul 24, 2017
New question: Why is my download speed the only one being affected? My upload speed is normal and runs perfectly (20mbps), while my download drops below 10mbps where it should be above 40mbps!!

You're going to have to test using wired to see if the powerline is the issue.
A powerline isn't on a single use wire so it's nearly impossible to troubleshoot.
You can try other outlets and see if that helps. Using two unused ones on the same rail might work better.

Solution