Question Slow ethernet speed on pc

nrbton01

Reputable
Oct 21, 2014
I have 500mbs internet that seems to be working on all devices except my pc. My phone is hitting over 200mbs while my pc is stuck around 100mbs. I went to my ethernet configuration settings and saw that it was set at 100mbs full duplex (i have no idea what that means bts). I set it to 1gbs full duplex and restarted my computer. The setting stayed on 1gbs but under the general info tab i am still at 100mbs. If my options are 10mbs, 100mbs and 1gb how come i cant use the 1gb? Why am i stuck at 100mbs? realtek pcie gbefamily controller btw. Thanks for any help.

nrbton01

Reputable
Oct 21, 2014
You should set your speed and duplex to auto. See if that fixes your speed.
I uninstalled drivers let my computer re download them. Set configure to auto and in general it still says 100mpbs. I have router plugged into wall and my ether ran from the router to my pc. I had the same speeds with my cable ran from wall to pc.

Suspect where this PC is connected to, most likely a switch, the LED on the RJ45 should tell you what the negotiated port speed is, consult manual if you are unsure of the LED signal pattern.

Suspect in-wall wirings, can verify by running a long CAT cable bypassing wall's.

nrbton01

Reputable
Oct 21, 2014
Suspect where this PC is connected to, most likely a switch, the LED on the RJ45 should tell you what the negotiated port speed is, consult manual if you are unsure of the LED signal pattern.

Suspect in-wall wirings, can verify by running a long CAT cable bypassing wall's.
very new to this always used wifi. it is blinking yellow and solid orange. cable is connected from ethernet port 1 on router through brand new 50ft cat5e to the pc no switches

nrbton01

Reputable
Oct 21, 2014
I just went straight from wall socket to pc changed to 1gbs in settings 439mbs down. How come when i go from router to pc with cable i lose 300mbs. Router brand new and obviously cable is working correctly. Shouldnt the ethernet port on the router do more than 100mbs? Is there a setting like the ethernet one so i can run wifi faster. not seeing one in my advanced setting for wireless adapter

Last edited:

nrbton01

Reputable
Oct 21, 2014
Does it go directly from the PC to the router?
What router ?
What motherboard ?
Have you tried a different cable ?
I hit 450mbs going straight from wall to pc with cat5e and switching to 1gbs in settings. when i go wall>router>pc i get capped at 100mbs so im guessing the either net ports only are capable of 100mbs. Router is some zyxel from my isp.

nrbton01

Reputable
Oct 21, 2014
Now I am confused. Are we troubleshooting wired or wireless connectivity for this host ?
It was a little bit of both. At first I was only getting 100mbs wired or wireless. Since changing the setting Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller from 100mbs to 1gbs I am getting 450ish download if i run my cat5e straight from the wall jack to my pc. Now if i run cat5e to router then cat5e to my pc from the ethernet port i again only get 100mbs. Now the weird thing is when i look in the settings it says my speed should be mid 400s. So basically, wall>cat5e>pc= mid 400s. Wall>cat5e>router>cat5e>pc=100. My routers ethernet port should do 1gbs.