[SOLVED] Slow file transfer between two wifi 6 clients in the same LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasis

Reputable
Jul 13, 2015
Hello. I have a problem in my home wireless network.

My wifi router: ASUS RT-AX92U

wireless adapters in two clients: TP-Link Archer TX3000E

160 MHz: on

802.11 ax: on

wifi speed: 1.0 Gbps

File transfer speed between 2 clients: 20-30 MB/s (single large file, SSD to SSD)

The router and the clients are in the same room. They were placed close to each other and no obstacles in between. All drivers and firmware are updated to the newest version.

Why is the file transfer speed is so slow? I expect the 1.0 Gbps network will give me somewhere near 100 MB/s like the wired ethernet. What can I do to increase the file transfer speed?

4yAXcPc.png

eWcI0J4.png

Last edited:
Solution
First I would try it on wired to see if other things like your file structure or disk is limiting you.

Connecting a USB drive to the router just adds another level of complexity. Routers have this "NAS" function as a free add on. Many perform very poorly since that is not their primary design purpose.

You have to remember that even in the very best case your data is passing over the wifi 2 different times and the transmission say from pc 1 to the router must wait until the router then sends the data to pc2. Wired connections since everything is dedicated can actually send both.

If you were to use the method wifi uses to count bandwidth 2 pc using wired connections would be called 4gbit. Each connection has 1gbit up and 1gbit...

USAFRet

Titan
However, this video shows the download and upload speed through wifi 6 is close to 100 MB/s (the router is GT-AX11000) and he said the wifi 5 can get 50-60 MB/s
In perfect lab conditions, with no other interference from neighbors, other systems and WiFi in your house, etc, etc.

WiFi performance on a utube has little or no relation to what happens in your house.

beers

Distinguished
BANNED
Oct 4, 2012
However, this video shows the download and upload speed through wifi 6 is close to 100 MB/s (the router is GT-AX11000) and he said the wifi 5 can get 50-60 MB/s
Wifi to wired client is different than wifi to wifi transfers. Wire one of the sides and you'll see much better transfer rates.

Wifi to wifi transfers suck more because wifi is a half duplex medium and each side in addition to the router must wait to transmit into clear airspace.

Jasis

Reputable
Jul 13, 2015
In perfect lab conditions, with no other interference from neighbors, other systems and WiFi in your house, etc, etc.

WiFi performance on a utube has little or no relation to what happens in your house.

If the file transfer speed is stucked at 20-30 MB/s, the wifi connection speed is going to show 200-300 Mbps instead of 1Gbps, isn't it? So where does the other 700-800 Mbps bandwidth go?

Jasis

Reputable
Jul 13, 2015
Wifi to wired client is different than wifi to wifi transfers. Wire one of the sides and you'll see much better transfer rates.

Wifi to wifi transfers suck more because wifi is a half duplex medium and each side in addition to the router must wait to transmit into clear airspace.
So would the file transfer speed be faster if I attach a USB drive to the router and directly read and write to the router instead of transfer between 2 clients?

First I would try it on wired to see if other things like your file structure or disk is limiting you.

Connecting a USB drive to the router just adds another level of complexity. Routers have this "NAS" function as a free add on. Many perform very poorly since that is not their primary design purpose.

You have to remember that even in the very best case your data is passing over the wifi 2 different times and the transmission say from pc 1 to the router must wait until the router then sends the data to pc2. Wired connections since everything is dedicated can actually send both.

If you were to use the method wifi uses to count bandwidth 2 pc using wired connections would be called 4gbit. Each connection has 1gbit up and 1gbit down for a total of 4. Unlike wifi ethernet connections can actually run that fast. So you can't even think to compare the 2 technologies.

The key reason you are seeing slow response on wifi is that it is half duplex and the airwaves are being shared by all clients. This ignore the addition problem that your neighbors also share the same radio frequencies and their traffic will interfere with yours causing data retransmissions.

Reactions: Jasis
Solution

beers

Distinguished
BANNED
Oct 4, 2012
So would the file transfer speed be faster if I attach a USB drive to the router and directly read and write to the router instead of transfer between 2 clients?
Not really, that introduces a different variable on the router. Your wifi potential to the router would 'lose less' since it wouldn't have to traverse another wifi hop on the same frequency, but now you're reliant on the router's hardware to interface with the USB side. Most 'USB router NAS' setups suck horrendously.

Wireless will NEVER be as fast as wired, no matter what. Wireless, first off, is half-duplex, which means that you will rarely, if ever, see more than 1/2 the declared speed when transferring. Add to that other radios in the area, on the same channel, and speed will drop even further. Bottom line is, you want full speed then use a wire.

Jasis

Reputable
Jul 13, 2015
Not really, that introduces a different variable on the router. Your wifi potential to the router would 'lose less' since it wouldn't have to traverse another wifi hop on the same frequency, but now you're reliant on the router's hardware to interface with the USB side. Most 'USB router NAS' setups suck horrendously.

OK, some updates.

I attached a USB3.0 SSD to the router and turned on FTP on it. If I connect that FTP via LAN and upload and download files, the speed is even slower than via internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.