[SOLVED] Slow Firecuda 2TB 2.5" (60 to 10MBps)

Sep 27, 2019
I had newly purchased 2TB FireCuda for my laptop and migrate the OS. Sometimes it is very slow to transfer files with 60MBps after a hour it will goes 10MBps and it also affects the programs which it will not responding. Is this normal for SSHD? It was first time for me to use SSHD and I know HDD 5200pm is slow but not as slow my current SSHD. My old HDD is more responsive for multi transfer but only peak speed is 50MBPS. But on SSHD bootup is very fast and I did the CrystalDiskMark benchmark which is pretty much fine. It's kind of weird I tried to test SeaTools which gives response Ok condition.

Screenshot%20(73).png

Screenshot%20(72).png

Screenshot%20(70).png

Screenshot%20(71).png

Solution
If copying from USB, many laptops have USB 3.0 ports/circuitry that will actually overheat and throttle in sustained file transfers exceeding even a few minutes...

Try one of the 'slower' USB 2.0 ports, which your drive will not be capable of saturating anyway...

To test strictly drive speeds, you'd have to copy/replicate large folders renamed that exceed the cache size, or, preferably, on a cold boot test to that nothing is pre-cached. (That way you are not limited by 110 MB/sec network speeds, assuming 1 Gbps wired network, or potential USB 3 throttling....)

I'm frankly surprised you are even getting 140 MB/sec sequential reads on a 5200 (not classic 5400 rpm?) rpm drive...

How are you doing the transfers, from where to where...
If copying from USB, many laptops have USB 3.0 ports/circuitry that will actually overheat and throttle in sustained file transfers exceeding even a few minutes...

Try one of the 'slower' USB 2.0 ports, which your drive will not be capable of saturating anyway...

To test strictly drive speeds, you'd have to copy/replicate large folders renamed that exceed the cache size, or, preferably, on a cold boot test to that nothing is pre-cached. (That way you are not limited by 110 MB/sec network speeds, assuming 1 Gbps wired network, or potential USB 3 throttling....)

I'm frankly surprised you are even getting 140 MB/sec sequential reads on a 5200 (not classic 5400 rpm?) rpm drive...

How are you doing the transfers, from where to where, when you see speeds fall to 10 MB/sec...? From USB drives or network?

Solution
With SSHD it all depends on what you are doing. If you a putting fresh data onto the drive, it's not going to be any faster than a standard hard drive. SSHD shines when it comes to routine tasks that you perform all the time, and it can keep that data in that SSD portion of the drive.

Sep 27, 2019

How are you doing the transfers, from where to where, when you see speeds fall to 10 MB/sec...? From USB drives or network?

Yeah, but I'm not sure why it does affect (lag) on my OS. My external drive only used for file transfer without direct app open from external.

Sorry for late reply, I've been observing the SSHD for many months and I'm not sure if it's defective or normal.

Sep 27, 2019
Obtain a read benchmark graph with HD Tune:
http://www.hdtune.com/download.html

Check for "slow" sectors with HDDScan:
http://hddscan.com/
On HD Tune benchmark it was worse than I thought.

• I close the application that may possible interrupt and overload I/O and I pause the file transfer
  • This will happen after I transfer large files like 20GB+ (so the SSD not used).
HD Tune
Screenshot-140.png

• Min: 0.2MB/S
  • Max: 6.0MB/S
  • Ave: 1.4MB/S
That's why my OS is suffering from lags.

And here is my External Drive (WD)

Screenshot-141.png

• Min: 26.7MB/S
  • Max: 225.8MB/S
  • Ave: 159.1MB/S
* I know HDD is slower than SSD but I'm not sure about this 10mb/s kinda like my old SD Card speed.

** HDDScan had error so I can't benchmark (can't execute files or something)

Sorry for late reply, I've been observing the SSHD for many months and I'm not sure if it's defective or normal.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2019
Where are these files coming from? Transfers always take place at the speed of the slowest device in the chain.
I'm pretty sure there are some little breadcrumbs during idle but I feel it doesn't effect during copy paste large files. I've used "HDD" for many years but this firecuda (on HDD side) is the slowest I've experience (got mostly 10MB/s - 30MB/S sequential copy). On the bright side (on SSD side) which is faster than normal HDD and it is pretty convenient on autorun application like Chrome.

* This will happen also solely FireCuda SSHD.

So I'm kind of confused if this is normal or defect.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2019
In my opinion maybe that's the cause of SMR and it is tightly packed segments maybe it cause slow but large capacity also efficient material cost during manufacturing. As the HDD slow and they covered up the speed by using SSD and it will called now SSHD

Well other normal HDD has high speed of 60 - 140 MB/S (for 5400rpm, sequential copy)

I'm not sure if this is normal or defect.

TRENDING THREADS