[SOLVED] Slow internet speed for specific downloads

fandang00

Honorable
Nov 28, 2015
Hello, since the start of the day I noticed to have some weird issues with internet. I was playing microsoft flight simulator when all of a sudden internet just kept disappearing for the game, but the videos that were playing on youtube were running fine on highest quality. Then I noticed something weird, so for example if I download something from steam, the speed is very high, but if I try to download something from microsoft store, it just doesent download due to too slow of a connection. In the browser when I try and download for example uplay launcher or rockstar social club it downloads very fast, but if I try to download nvidia drivers for example, the speed is super slow. I tried resetting router, turning it off then on again and etc. What could be the issue? Router is mikrotik. Is there something wrong in the router or should I call ISP.
View: https://imgur.com/a/CBz9EN5

Solution
Not sure if your video card has it but asus bundles some crappy network software that they claim is suppose to accelerate games. Check and uninstall it if you have it. These type of programs cause all kinds of strange issues. You are looking for anything that claims it gives games priority or qos.

These type of problems in general are related to the server you are downloading from. Your pc/router etc has only 1 path in and out of your house so if there are network issues everything should be affected the same. You have no control over how data flows between ISP or company servers.

Games are different than downloads and video like youtube. Almost ever application other than games will tolerate some small amount of data...

Lutfij

Titan
You might want to see if your platform is pending a BIOS update for your motherboard. The next thing I'd look at is see if the OS is pending any updates(if you're on Windows 10). Following that you can try and uninstall your NIC drivers and reinstalling them in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

You might also want to see if your router is pending any firmware updates. Make and model of your router? If the networking adapter did not come bundled with your motherboard, please state the make and model of the adapter. Often times there are instances where files might be cached by your ISP to allow for the file that sees high traffic be readily available to users on the same network(plan). That being said, you will need to mention the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Where are you located? ISP used?

Not sure if your video card has it but asus bundles some crappy network software that they claim is suppose to accelerate games. Check and uninstall it if you have it. These type of programs cause all kinds of strange issues. You are looking for anything that claims it gives games priority or qos.

These type of problems in general are related to the server you are downloading from. Your pc/router etc has only 1 path in and out of your house so if there are network issues everything should be affected the same. You have no control over how data flows between ISP or company servers.

Games are different than downloads and video like youtube. Almost ever application other than games will tolerate some small amount of data loss. Games you will see even very tiny amounts of data loss. This does not explain though why some sites download faster than others.

You can test for data loss by leaving a constant ping run to some common IP like 8.8.8.8

Solution

fandang00

Honorable
Nov 28, 2015
Woke up today and everything seems to be fixed, ISP probably realized there was an issue that happened on Sunday. Thank you all for informative comments.