Question Slow internet speed through ethernet

Jake1072

Reputable
Nov 25, 2016
I have been working on trying to figure out this issue and have come to a dead-end, I am not sure what to do now. I am getting gigabit internet and on average, the speed test is around 800-900 Mbps. All other lan computers on the network are getting the correct speeds except my PC. On speed test, I am only getting 100mbps if I am lucky.

Setup:
Internet comes in through a coax cable that goes into the modem, then into the router which is a nighthawk ac3000. This router should have no problem handling the speeds and devices connected. Devices connected to the network are 3 other computers (mine included all ethernet connections) and common devices like smartphones, Roku's, ect. I setup QoS on the router and set my computer to the highest priority.

What I have tested:
I first thought my cable was too long, so I shortened it and that did nothing. Then I replaced the ethernet cable which also did not work (Cat6). Today I put in a Gigabit network interface card, that also did not fix the problem. I tried plugging my ethernet cable into the modem instead of the router, that also did not fix the issue.

At this point I have no idea what the problem could be, I think my next step would be to reinstall windows and see if that could fix the issue because I have tried everything else.

All advice is appreciated. Thanks!

First off, unless you are saturating your total connection speed on your WAN do not use QOS, it will do nothing for you but cause other problems. Have you tried using a known good cable, you mentioned you shortened the one you had, if it was under 100m then this would not have mattered, your terminations might!! Have you tested the cable with a proper tester?

Reactions: Jake1072

Jake1072

Reputable
Nov 25, 2016
Update. I decided to download some games just to see what the speeds are at. I get the proper speeds through steam (around 400mbps download). I guess there isn't an issue then. I still appreciate all your help with this problem!