Slow internet speed

tbarb

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
Hello-
I have an older desktop computer with a P5W DH Deluxe ASUS motherboard running Windows 7. I am getting around 6-7 MBS on my wireless connection for download speeds (sits right next to the Cisco Linksys E3200 router and Zoom cable modem); and another computer which sits on the other side of the router and modem is getting almost 20MBS. Only the download speed using a few broadband internet speed tests has a difference as the upload speed is around 6MBS on both computers.

The desktop always reached the same speeds, but I can clearly see that it has slowed and on two occasions in the last month windows reported a 'wireless adapter' problem and I clicked the fix button and it reported back that it reset the wireless adapter. But the slow speed soon returned.

The router also has a cable connection which I have always had connected to the computer as well but I am sure it has always connected via wireless. I am wondering if I could force a cable connection to eliminate the problem but do not know how to do that. Actually I have thought the cable connection would be better but never looked into it as the wireless worked fine but apparently no longer.

I imagine the wireless adapter is part of the motherboard as I have no other board in any slot which could be doing that? In reading a few other posts it appears there are wireless boards that I may be able to put into a motherboard slot and perhaps fix it that way.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Tom

Solution
It sounds to me that the wireless is going on the motherboard. At this point, I would disable the on board WiFi, and connect via the Ethernet wire. There is no advantage to using wireless if a wire reaches the router.