[SOLVED] slow internet

basbab

Reputable
Sep 17, 2018
I have broadband plan with telephone for which the promised speed is 20mbps till 1000GB, so it was working fine till last week when speed dropped down to 2mbps or below, usually in speed test the results would be around 10-11mbps, so i complained they sent their lineman, who after looking at whole setup of the modem and telephone checked the quality of telephone line, then declared everything is alright, but still my speed is below 2mbps which is really frustrating give the money i pay.
But what i am not able to comprehend is during random speed testing the speed results would suddenly comes back to normal speed(10-11mbps) but after few minutes and tests it again drops down below 2mbps, so i can't figure out why is this happening,
is my ISP is intentionally throttling my speed or something wrong with connection or my modem with wifi(which is 6 years old).
Without knowing the inner working mechanism, ican guess that my connection line is good as sometimes the speedresults are good(10-11mbps)
, also my isp can't be throtling my speed, because if it does then during random test my speed can't reach the normal speed of 10-11mbps,
so i suspect that fault is with my router, so please help me out in this scenario what could have gone wrong.
this is my reading in router homepage
Downstream​
Upstream​
SNR Margin​
:​
9.0​
15.5​
db
Line Attenuation​
22.9​
13.0​
db
Data Rate​
12495​
621​
kbps
Max Rate​
17976​
1054​
kbps
CRC​
3​
0​

should i get a new modem or else is there some problem with line from telephone exchange (ISP)/.
the results are same in all the devices laptop,pc,handheld devices.

Solution
When you checked "in front of him" was that where the computer is normally located or just at the point of service entry into your residence?

As stated, intermittent problems are the worse. If the problem is on BSNL's side all you can do is keep calling and calling. However, you must also keep working to ensure that there are no problems on your side. Especially as you are responsible for those connections.

Start inspecting your telephone cables end to end as best and as safely as you can. Look for any signs of damage, nails or staples kinks/hard bends in the wire, rodent chews, bare metal showing, loose punch downs in the wall jacks, poorly crimped on plugs.

I am a firm believer in diagrams. Sketch out your connection and...

Ralston18

Titan
Who is your ISP?

Make and model(s): modem, router, or modem/router?

Did the lineman actually use any test equipment or did he just physically "look". They are often under lots of pressure to get on to the next job and work by experience and sight. Especially when the problem is likely on the customer end of things.

And if the problem is intermittently, everything truly may have been okay when tested. E.g., some plug or cable with a loose connection or some partial disconnection - comes and goes seemingly at random.

Do you know if your connections include what is known as a splitter or filter? Very small: one telephone line going in, two lines going out: One outbound line to telephone system, the other outbound line to the modem.

Reactions: basbab
You would have to lookup what the good numbers are for things like the SNR margin I forget. The data rate though corresponds to what you are seeing. It shows 12mbps is what you should expect from speed test.

I don't know how often this panel gets updated. I know if you get lots of line errors on dsl it will drop to a lower speed.

This is where you want the ISP to really test. They have the ability to put a test meter on the connection and see what it can really transfer.

Still intermittent problems are the worst for anyone trying to fix things.

Reactions: basbab

basbab

Reputable
Sep 17, 2018
Who is your ISP?
My isp is BSNL
Make and model(s): modem, router, or modem/router?
I am currently using
TP LINK TD-W8961N 300Mbps Wireless N ADSL2+ Modem Router
https://www.tp-link.com/in/products/details/cat-15_TD-W8961N.html

it is modem with wifi
and it is 5-6 years old
Did the lineman actually use any test equipment or did he just physically "look". They are often under lots of pressure to get on to the next job and work by experience and sight. Especially when the problem is likely on the customer end of things.
actually he tested the telephone line outside the home to see if it is clearly audible with his telephone which he brought (which usually they bring) then with his cutting pliers he plucked the already joined wire and again twisted them together and covered it, then he checked the internet speed, in front of him i got 10mbps but after he left with in 1-2 minutes it got down, and occasionally during a day for few minutes it shows the normal speed which i am suppose to have which is 10-11mbps but for few minutes and again drops below 1mbps.

Do you know if your connections include what is known as a splitter or filter? Very small: one telephone line going in, two lines going out: One outbound line to telephone system, the other outbound line to the modem.

Yes it includes splitter.

basbab

Reputable
Sep 17, 2018
You would have to lookup what the good numbers are for things like the SNR margin I forget. The data rate though corresponds to what you are seeing. It shows 12mbps is what you should expect from speed test.
Yeah i looked up and found that it if the snr is 20+ it is excellent, which makes my case worst as i have 9, and line attenuation rate is good which should be 20-30 db it seems.

Ralston18

Titan
When you checked "in front of him" was that where the computer is normally located or just at the point of service entry into your residence?

As stated, intermittent problems are the worse. If the problem is on BSNL's side all you can do is keep calling and calling. However, you must also keep working to ensure that there are no problems on your side. Especially as you are responsible for those connections.

Start inspecting your telephone cables end to end as best and as safely as you can. Look for any signs of damage, nails or staples kinks/hard bends in the wire, rodent chews, bare metal showing, loose punch downs in the wall jacks, poorly crimped on plugs.

I am a firm believer in diagrams. Sketch out your connection and devices. Does not need to be a formal work of art or intensely technical. Just show enough and explain enough for you to grasp the big picture. Not at all unusual to discover some forgotten connection or device that has degraded and now causing problems.

Get a long telephone extension cable to temporarily bypass cables that you cannot see to inspect. Get a replacement splitter. Look for a pattern in the outages/speed drops. Could be heat or moisture related for example.

Solution

basbab

Reputable
Sep 17, 2018
My computer was located in its usual place, i did not move it , moreover my Pc is conencted by Ethernet cable from modem,.
To find where the real problem is I decided to borrow modem from friend and conduct the speedtest, if the results are good and consistent with borrowed modem then we can be sure that problem is with the old modem not the ISP, if the results are poor with the borrowed modem too, i would be contacting ISP again or i would move on with someother ISP company.
The problem is the telephone wires is quite new, was installed just 4-5 months ago. But a little part of wire is exposed to harsh sunlight, and small part of the cable is bend in the closing of window, which means every time i close the window the wire will be stuck and crushed, as there is no other way than this to get the cable into home, may be that would be the cause , but that is the way i have been using for a very long time, but i am experiencing this slow speed just a few days. But would definitely consider this.