Question Slow Laptop Issues

bamitscon

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2015
So I have an oldish laptop that my sister gave me when she got a new one, I replaced the battery in it as it only worked when the charger was in, that’s fixed that issue. I also bought and upgraded the RAM inside it, but the whole thing is still really slow? Startup is extremely slow, takes forever to get onto the main windows screen, and then it takes even longer to load windows and let me open up chrome or applications, and then a lot of times the blue loading circle will appear and then applications will stop responding, during this the audio would also start to crackle.

What could this be? I’m pretty sure I done a free windows install too, what could be the issue to fixing the slowness or is it just due to being an old system? Is there anything I can replace or upgrade to make it speedy again?

It’s a HP laptop, 15-ac120na

Last edited:

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
It would be best not to spend anything else towards this machine, however, you could move an SSD from this when the time comes. The only suggestion I have would be to add an SSD and have very tempered expectations. This is 2 core @ 1.9. It is not going to be fast, ever, and never was.

bamitscon

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2015
It would be best not to spend anything else towards this machine, however, you could move an SSD from this when the time comes. The only suggestion I have would be to add an SSD and have very tempered expectations. This is 2 core @ 1.9. It is not going to be fast, ever, and never was.
So swap out the hard drive inside for an SSD instead?

Do you have any recommendations for a new laptop? That would be semi decent for a few games, and for work related everyday stuff?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Games aside, for instance go to Newegg and search business class laptops 3-4 generations old give or take. If you aren't looking for a lot of bells and whistles it isn't too difficult to find used i5/r5 models around $200 used.

Honestly speaking, if you have a modern smartphone it is more capable than the laptop spec'ed.

TRENDING THREADS