Question Slow loading on firefox but microsoft edge works perfectly fine.

vensus

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2016
I've ran into a really weird problem recently and originally I thought it was because of our new internet service plan upgrade, which came with a new modem/router in one device. After some testing though, I doubt that's the source of this issue.

My problem is that when browsing around on some websites on firefox. I'll run into odd issues where thumbnail images won't load on websites like 4chan mainly, but less commonly gelbooru will have a hiccup on some pages, causing me to refresh for it to properly load images. With the main problem website, it's very strange because I'll go to the catalog that'll have the one page show all the threads and thumbnails attached to click on. Nearly every time I check the catalog if I'm lucky, I'll see maybe 10-15 thread thumbnails and the rest will be unloaded with a rare chance of the webpage finally loading those missing thumbnails after waiting 5-10 seconds, but this doesn't do it for the whole webpage of missing thumbnail images.

I've also noticed the issue when opening threads, a few thumbnail images might load, while others will be missing and load after a while or they'll never load no matter how long I leave it there. What I was doing to somewhat bypass this problem for a while is holding down shift and clicking refresh. It was working for a while as a half assed fix, since it's annoying to do this often instead of a solid fix for the problem instead. Well that solution doesn't even seem to work like it used to anymore recently.

I have noticed the problem isn't exclusive to thumbnail images either. When trying to click on thumbnails, the image itself might not even try to open or expand without taking 5 seconds or more and that's if it wants to work, sometimes it'll sit there without doing anything. (This is with thumbnails that look fully loaded, not missing thumbnails.) The problem also affects webm videos taking forever to expand open and begin playing or possibly not loading. On youtube I'll sometimes have videos on there that won't be able to buffer the data when clicking on a video to watch or some videos will play, but shortly into it or midway through the data that's been buffered will halt and force me to reload the webpage. The youtube issue seems less common, but I wanted to mention it anyways since it seems something is going on with images/video formats.

Now the interesting thing is that I've tried some solutions ranging from completely uninstalling firefox and wipe the data folder for the browser before installing it again. (In order to avoid firefox from taking my existing settings/preferences to import to the fresh install.) I've had to recently reset my windows 10 altogether, which included firefox from scratch and some other apps/programs in the process. That didn't seem to do anything with fixing the problem and I've went through a fair amount of other solutions, but nothing that seemed to fix it.

The odd thing I have just noticed recently is that if I use microsoft edge instead of firefox for these affected websites and problems, suddenly the problem altogether is non existent. I can't say for sure if this is the case yet since I need to keep testing the difference between edge vs firefox throughout the day some more. It's just really weird that microsoft edge seems to be working perfectly fine and loads everything super quickly, but other browsers I have tried recently besides firefox like chrome or even internet explorer before they stopped supporting some websites working on that one. Even those browsers have the same issue as firefox for the websites, but microsoft edge seems perfect and it makes me question if it has something to do with windows 10 and microsoft in general trying to push users to use edge instead?

I should note that I didn't have these issues on firefox using windows 10 for about 2-3 years, but for the past 3-4 months is when this began popping up and I haven't made any major changes with my computer hardware or software wise in that time. Not to mention I've recently done a windows 10 reset about 2 weeks back at most and so I really don't know how to process all of this.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7700
Ram: 16GB
Mobo: Gigabyte Z390 GAMING PLUS
Gpu: RTX 2070 super
Psu: EVGA SuperNOVA 850W GOLD
Storage: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB (Windows is installed here)
Storage: Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166 2TB

Firefox 92.0 (64-bit)

Edit: I was going to attach a screenshot to show the problem, but oddly enough before I made this thread. I went ahead and tried opening microsoft edge while having firefox running, checking if the problem was happening with microsoft edge as well and noticed everything was working super quick on there, closed out of edge. Then I went back to trying to check around on firefox without having edge open and now it seems firefox is currently working like it used to many months ago for now.

I don't know if that has anything to possibly do with firefox and other browsers not working right for me lately? Just really odd that after running microsoft edge and closing out of it, that firefox is now working perfectly for now. I'll update on this as I continue browsing around.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Start using Resource Monitor and Task Manager to monitor system performance as you experiment with browsers, software, etc..,

Use both tools but only one at a time.

Determine what resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using any given resource.

For example watch with only one browser open, then switch to the other browser, then run both. What changes?

= = = =

Also: PSU - make, model, wattage, age, condition? Could be that the PSU is starting to falter and cannot keep up with peak power demands by the GPU.

vensus

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2016
Start using Resource Monitor and Task Manager to monitor system performance as you experiment with browsers, software, etc..,

Use both tools but only one at a time.

Determine what resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using any given resource.

For example watch with only one browser open, then switch to the other browser, then run both. What changes?

= = = =

Also: PSU - make, model, wattage, age, condition? Could be that the PSU is starting to falter and cannot keep up with peak power demands by the GPU.
I'll begin monitoring the system performance, as of right this moment with firefox still managing to load things properly and trying to play around with loading up affected website pages like before. It's currently stable looking for the most part.

CPU 2-6%
Memory 35-38% (6 tabs open)
GPU 3%
etc.

The only thing I've noticed within performance that is leaping when expanding/opening thumbnails is ethernet will leap in use for the split second to process expanding the thumbnail to the full image size, but nothing else that seems out of place. Right now I'm just playing it safe and testing this with as little background programs or services possible to rule anything else out. (Like playing a game and tabbing out while browsing or running more programs, etc.) I'll monitor these and report back later in the day to compare any differences when I notice the affected websites are having the problems again for me vs currently.

My mistake, forgot what that. The PSU is a EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 220-G2-0850-XR 80+ GOLD 850W Fully Modular EVGA. It's nearly 4 years old, but I haven't noticed any limits while gaming in recent months for limits, etc.

vensus

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2016
I have yet to run into the issue for a whole day now. I don't know if it had anything to do with opening microsoft edge while having firefox open, then closing out of microsoft edge. It seems silly that it'd somehow magically fix firefox.

I guess I'll keep going about my business and if nothing happens again within the next few days I'll report back to at least let anyone else having similar issues to try fooling around like I did.

Edit: Really confused, but everything has been perfectly fine since I've tried opening microsoft edge alongside firefox when it was acting up, closed out of it and since then everything has been working just fine. Just updating in case anyone else runs into this problem and needs a fix.

Last edited: