Question Slow PC despite 128Gb RAM and 64-bit Win 10 Pro

nitoni

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
I don't understand why my PC starts choking to the point of becoming totally unresponsive if I open too many tabs in my browser despite having ample RAM.

If the web browser under use (Firefox, Edge, IE, Chrome) start clocking up more than 10Gb of RAM use, it is to the point where it almost freezes. This despite these browsers allegedly being 64-bit as well, just like my Win 10 Pro for Workstations.

I am also running dual Xeon E5-2696 v4 CPUs and dual 1080GTX on six 1980x1080 screens. System disk (C: ) is a Samsung SSD 960 Evo 1Tb with 226Gb free while personal files (D: ) is on a WD Red 10Tb with 6Tb free. I am using no paging file for any of those drives.

Any input would be most :welcome:

EDIT: Sorry, I have 2 x 1070 GTX, not 1080.

Last edited:

shadi shtaklef

Reputable
BANNED
Jul 26, 2015
make sure hard disks are ok by installing hard disk sentinel and crystaldiskinfo and both should say hard disks are healthy. if yes then backup your files, make windows 10 bootable flash, boot from it to start windows setup, delete all windows partitions (delete all except for d: ), create new partition and select it to continue the setup

More active tabs also increase CPU usage. That will become the bottleneck in your system.

Remember - we don't live in 1998 and web sites nowdays can be cpu demanding.

You can check that using task manager - you'll probably see the web browsers eating a lot of cpu.

nitoni

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
make sure hard disks are ok by installing hard disk sentinel and crystaldiskinfo and both should say hard disks are healthy. if yes then backup your files, make windows 10 bootable flash, boot from it to start windows setup, delete all windows partitions (delete all except for d: ), create new partition and select it to continue the setup

Yes, al disks are healthy, as also confirmed by Samsung Magician. I have reinstalled Windows several times, different builds, and even on a different disk so I could dual boot and see if any difference, but no,

Ralston18

Titan
Yes - Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance.

And do consider the possibility that the system is simply being over-taxed. Manufacturer's establish specs and performance using ideal conditions.

Scale back to what you consider an acceptable level of performance. Then add back one by one to discover if any particular app causes problems.

nitoni

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
More active tabs also increase CPU usage. That will become the bottleneck in your system.

Remember - we don't live in 1998 and web sites nowdays can be cpu demanding.

You can check that using task manager - you'll probably see the web browsers eating a lot of cpu.

OK so right now I have Firefox open with several tabs and windows going at the same time: 2% CPU, 4.8Gb RAM, 2-6% GPU.

Computer is OK. Then, I also open IE and restore previous session also with a lot of tabs windows (for testing now, I normally don't use IE but the problem is browser agnostic): 18-20% CPU, 6.9Gb RAM, 6-9% GPU.

Total CPU around 20-23%, memory 16%, disk 0%, network 1% and GPU 60% (of which also Desktop Window Manager 17-20% and System 12-14%, all on GPU 0).

Now, it is very slow with mouse moving across screen with delay, any command or click is executed with a long delay (10s).

I should mention that my RAM is ECC.