Question Slow PC Performance when using only 1 disk

Jul 21, 2019
Hello,

This is my first post in this forum.

Problems:
  • Very slow
  • Frequent BSODs (memory management, critical process died, etc.)
  • 100% Disk (and sometimes also CPU) Utilization

Detailed:
I am having problems in my PC. It was fast and stable until this month. The PC suddenly slowed down.
I am using Windows 10, AMD A4-6300 APU, 4GB DDR3 RAM, and a Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 rpm hard drive. It slowed down and also experienced frequent BSODs (CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED, MEMORY_MANAGEMENT, and more).

I searched online (and i found this forum) and tried the steps to solve (Windows 10 memory management bsod, Check hard disk).

I have tested the drive using HDTune, no problems found (but a yellow line appears on 2 attributes (spin retry count and an unknown attribute.) I also followed the steps shown in the following links:

But still no luck. The problem goes away temporarily. Then, i decided to make a backup of the files on the C partition using another physical SATA HDD. The problem is gone. But when i removed the backup drive, the problem is back. I don't know why it needs two drives. (the backup drive is WD 160GB 5200 rpm) I run Adobe photoshop CC, Some games like Call of Duty, GTA San Andreas, etc. But even if the PC is idle, the disk utilization is still 100%. I checked the apps using the disk/cpu using task manager but the app on the top uses only 1.8%.

Thank you, i hope we found a way to solve this.

I'm not sure what those websites have recommended, but you should uninstall any programs you have installed that they told you to. Many of those sort of sites recommend their own adware riddled programs, when other programs do it better and without all of the bloatware. You should check out SeaTools for Windows. It's made by Seagate, but works with all hard drives, not just their own. Look to see if it detects any problems.
You might also want to download Malwarebytes to make sure no viruses are doing anything that is harming your PC and causing the issues.

Jul 21, 2019
I'm not sure what those websites have recommended, but you should uninstall any programs you have installed that they told you to. Many of those sort of sites recommend their own adware riddled programs, when other programs do it better and without all of the bloatware. You should check out SeaTools for Windows. It's made by Seagate, but works with all hard drives, not just their own. Look to see if it detects any problems.
You might also want to download Malwarebytes to make sure no viruses are doing anything that is harming your PC and causing the issues.
Thank you for helping me!

Oh sorry, i forgot. I also tried using Seatools for Windows and tries all tests (but not advanced tests) and all of it passed. I did not installed any tools they recommend. I used the tools i trust with the same function. I haven't installed any AVs, only Windows defender. I will try that. Thanks!

If no viruses are found, open the start menu, and type CMD. Right click Command Prompt and run it as administrator. Then, type "chkdsk /f /r" (without ") and hit enter. Now, wait for it to finish. If it asks to restart your PC, type y and hit enter, then click the start menu, and restart. This process will take a long time, and if it seems like it is stuck, then trust me it is not.
Another thing to do is ensure Windows is updated. Windows updates that get stuck can bring the whole system to a standstill - it's happened to me before.

Reactions: Catayao56
Jul 21, 2019
If no viruses are found, open the start menu, and type CMD. Right click Command Prompt and run it as administrator. Then, type "chkdsk /f /r" (without ") and hit enter. Now, wait for it to finish. If it asks to restart your PC, type y and hit enter, then click the start menu, and restart. This process will take a long time, and if it seems like it is stuck, then trust me it is not.
Another thing to do is ensure Windows is updated. Windows updates that get stuck can bring the whole system to a standstill - it's happened to me before.
I found out that the hard drive is failing. I performed a clean install of WIndows 10 and still the problem occurs. It's strange the disk passed all the tests.