Slow Raid 0 performance with Samsung 960 Pro

noxendine28

Prominent
Jan 17, 2018
I bought 2x Samsung 960 Pro 512Gb SSDs on Amazon to do RAID 0. Sadly, I don't think I'm getting the best performance. Windows 10 Boot time is only a few seconds faster than with Samsung 850 Evo 2.5-inch SSD. I did an ATTO disk benchmark and Crystal Disk, are these really the expected speeds of RAID 0 or should I be getting more? Also, the rest of my specs is:
CPU: i7 8700K @ 5GHz
Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS X APEX
RAM: 16GB DDR4 @ 4133Mhz
GPU: GTX 1050 Ti
PSU: EVGA Super Nova 750G2
HDD: Western Digital Black 3TB
HDD: Western Digital Black 6TB
FYI, I have the best Motherboard for overclocking, I'm using the ASUS dimm.2 for the m.2 SSDs
Capture.png

Capture.png

Solution
Well, I'll rephrase what I've written again and again.
You won't see much of an improvement from RAIDing flash drives.
The manufacturers have teams of engineers who spend their time squeezing the best possible performance out of more channels of flash. Don't expect to see a miracle when you just jam two of them together; you'll get better performance from buying one twice-as-big in the same product line (if such exists) and benefitting from the experience of those professionals.

If you're disappointed with the RAID performance of 2x512, I suggest that you either
1) return one if you don't need the space
2) buy a 1 TB one and wonder at how the engineers squeezed out that extra performance without drastically increasing the chance of...
Well, I'll rephrase what I've written again and again.
You won't see much of an improvement from RAIDing flash drives.
The manufacturers have teams of engineers who spend their time squeezing the best possible performance out of more channels of flash. Don't expect to see a miracle when you just jam two of them together; you'll get better performance from buying one twice-as-big in the same product line (if such exists) and benefitting from the experience of those professionals.

If you're disappointed with the RAID performance of 2x512, I suggest that you either
1) return one if you don't need the space
2) buy a 1 TB one and wonder at how the engineers squeezed out that extra performance without drastically increasing the chance of failure
3) use one and mail me the other. PM me for my address.

Really, I'm pleasantly surprised when a RAID0 of two good SSDs doesn't perform worse than a single.

Solution