Question Slow speed

Feb 17, 2020
I have just increased my internet package from 50 Mbps to 125 Mbps. However, when I check my download speed, I get only 80-85 Mbps on WiFi and 90-95 Mbps when connected through LAN. My router is a D-Link DIR 825 which provides 300 Mbps on the 2.5 GHz and 867 Mbps on the 5 GHz channel. Seeing the speeds that my router can support, I should be able to get the maximum speed. Is there any fix or should I contact my ISP or is there a logical reason behind it that I can't seem to understand? Also, I got the speed that I should have when I was on my 50 Mbps package.

kanewolf

Titan
I have just increased my internet package from 50 Mbps to 125 Mbps. However, when I check my download speed, I get only 80-85 Mbps on WiFi and 90-95 Mbps when connected through LAN. My router is a D-Link DIR 825 which provides 300 Mbps on the 2.5 GHz and 867 Mbps on the 5 GHz channel. Seeing the speeds that my router can support, I should be able to get the maximum speed. Is there any fix or should I contact my ISP or is there a logical reason behind it that I can't seem to understand? Also, I got the speed that I should have when I was on my 50 Mbps package.
You have the "new" DIR 825 the AC1200 model. The 95Mbit wired limit is an indication that something is only running at 100Mbit speed rather than gigabit speed.
80Mbit on WIFI typically means that you aren't connected to the 5Ghz network.
You have some more detective work to do. Start by logging into the router and check the status page. Are all the wired connections showing 1000 rather than 100?
Look at the WIFI status and see which band your are connecting to.
Also on your laptop/PC use Windows to check the link speed on the connections -- https://www.windowscentral.com/how-determine-wi-fi-and-ethernet-connection-speed-windows-10 A wired connection should be 1000. If you are on 5Ghz it should be above 300.

Feb 17, 2020
You have the "new" DIR 825 the AC1200 model. The 95Mbit wired limit is an indication that something is only running at 100Mbit speed rather than gigabit speed.
80Mbit on WIFI typically means that you aren't connected to the 5Ghz network.
You have some more detective work to do. Start by logging into the router and check the status page. Are all the wired connections showing 1000 rather than 100?
Look at the WIFI status and see which band your are connecting to.
Also on your laptop/PC use Windows to check the link speed on the connections -- https://www.windowscentral.com/how-determine-wi-fi-and-ethernet-connection-speed-windows-10 A wired connection should be 1000. If you are on 5Ghz it should be above 300.

Thank you for your reply. I am indeed connected to the 5 GHz band. I went to the link as you asked, and it shows the speed as 150 Mbps. I didn't quite understand what to do after checking the status page, so can you please be more clear? I don't have much knowledge about this.

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
Thank you for your reply. I am indeed connected to the 5 GHz band. I went to the link as you asked, and it shows the speed as 150 Mbps. I didn't quite understand what to do after checking the status page, so can you please be more clear? I don't have much knowledge about this.
The question is also, what is your wired link rate? It should be 1000.

A link rate of 150 is typical of 2.4Ghz WIFI. Do you have different SSID names for the 2.4 and 5Ghz radios ? If not, temporarily change the 5Ghz to a unique name for testing.
It is possible your router has automatically selected a 5Ghz frequency that your device doesn't support (they vary by country). If you manually set your router 5Ghz channel to something less than 50 (any available channel less than 50), you can be sure you are on a frequency that is supported.

Feb 17, 2020
The question is also, what is your wired link rate? It should be 1000.

A link rate of 150 is typical of 2.4Ghz WIFI. Do you have different SSID names for the 2.4 and 5Ghz radios ? If not, temporarily change the 5Ghz to a unique name for testing.
It is possible your router has automatically selected a 5Ghz frequency that your device doesn't support (they vary by country). If you manually set your router 5Ghz channel to something less than 50 (any available channel less than 50), you can be sure you are on a frequency that is supported.

I can't see the wired link rate anywhere. I guess that's because I'm over WiFi at the moment. And yes, I have different SSIDs for both bands. I'm pretty sure my laptop supports 5 GHz as I remember researching on it when I was about to buy the router. My 2.5 GHz band is on channel 13, while the 5 GHz band is on channel 149. I haven't manually changed it; it is set to Auto. However, it says that the recommended channel is 60. Here's a screenshot of what I see for better clarity.

S79CcRF.png

To be honest, I feel this can be solved by contacting my ISP since my city recently had some minor floods and there was no internet at my place for almost 3 days. They said the fiber optics have been damaged and would take some time to get repaired. I'll contact them tomorrow morning.

Last edited: