[SOLVED] Slow SSD write speed 50mb/s ?

Dec 12, 2021
Hey, I have a problem with a ssd disk. I'm currently using Lexal NQ100 up to 480mb/s write and up to 550mb/s read speed. Unfortunately I do not get 480mb/s write speed on my computer. Write speed goes up to 450mb/s~ when I turn on my pc and do the benchmark and it stays for a few seconds and then immediately goes down to maximum of 50mb/s . I have tried downloading files from steam it is the same problem first it is downloading and writing fast into disk and after few seconds writing speed goes down to 50mb/s...

ATTO benchmark
AS SSD benchmark

It looks like I get 300mb/s+ writing speed when disk flushes his cache or something, I've been looking for an aswer a lot and found a lot of people with same problem, but unfortunately I did not got a way to fix this problem.

Solution
This is my mainboard from cpuz

Motherboard specs
Try this step by step (read till end):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors and the chipset in control panel on device manager (should be 16 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no) like this:
    unknown.png

• Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios. Then go to bios again after update and load default or optimized settings, then save and exit

• boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver, reboot and go to power plan, make sure it is set on amd ryzen...
Hey, I have a problem with a ssd disk. I'm currently using Lexal NQ100 up to 480mb/s write and up to 550mb/s read speed. Unfortunately I do not get 480mb/s write speed on my computer. Write speed goes up to 450mb/s~ when I turn on my pc and do the benchmark and it stays for a few seconds and then immediately goes down to maximum of 50mb/s . I have tried downloading files from steam it is the same problem first it is downloading and writing fast into disk and after few seconds writing speed goes down to 50mb/s...

ATTO benchmark
AS SSD benchmark

It looks like I get 300mb/s+ writing speed when disk flushes his cache or something, I've been looking for an aswer a lot and found a lot of people with same problem, but unfortunately I did not got a way to fix this problem.
could you list all pc specs with details please?

This is my mainboard from cpuz

Motherboard specs
Try this step by step (read till end):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors and the chipset in control panel on device manager (should be 16 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no) like this:
    unknown.png

• Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios. Then go to bios again after update and load default or optimized settings, then save and exit

• boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver, reboot and go to power plan, make sure it is set on amd ryzen balanced power plan, and connect to internet.

• Install the latest nvidia driver.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did). Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• Run cmd as admin, then do chkdsk /x /f /r, after that do sfc /scannow

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any and install them (except chipset in optional update). Enable hardware accelerated graphics scheduling (available in the latest windows update) in graphics settings and reboot, it should be like this:
    unknown.png

• Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
    unknown.png

Solution

ATTO benchmark
AS SSD benchmark

In device manager disk is write caching enabled?

Dec 12, 2021
I did not quite understand what does "Uninstall all the processors and the chipset in control panel on device manager ", but Ive uninstalled processors and gpu, updated my bios to latest version, installed chipset drivers and did all your steps, fixed disk, but still getting this: slow ssd speed
I might done something wrong maybe?
BIOS

Dec 12, 2021
I am on W10, I swapped HDD cable and his original 3rd slot to SSD and from 3rd SSD. Before SSD was on 1st slot now is on 3rd slot and cable from the third slot...

Dec 12, 2021
After some rest, my SSD performs normally (as I want to) https://prnt.sc/22roqi6 , but after some tests it is dropping its speed. Same with downloading, my internet connection is good, but after downloading something from steam(for example) it starts jumping from 0 to 20mb/s writing speed on SSD...

After some rest, my SSD performs normally (as I want to) https://prnt.sc/22roqi6 , but after some tests it is dropping its speed. Same with downloading, my internet connection is good, but after downloading something from steam(for example) it starts jumping from 0 to 20mb/s writing speed on SSD...
well if you tested the ssd continously it should dropped the speed as it get more heat.

but after downloading something from steam(for example) it starts jumping from 0 to 20mb/s writing speed on SSD...
i dont understand, do you mean when you're downloading something and the steam writes on ssd, the ssd speed is not fast? i have a klevv n400 240gb and it never went full speed on write and read as advertised but it performs like yours, and it always depends on the file, if it concludes decompressing or unzipping something it should depends on the files and the cpu capability on doing the tasks.

so as long as the ssd read write is ok when you're transfering files, it should be ok. i usually get 240MB/s max write if im transfering huge files or 1 folder with many small files. read could go up to 400MB/s. so it actually depends on the cpu performance and the file you are transfer/reading.

You have a budget ssd.
It uses tlc nand chips which are cheap but not as capable as mlc or slc.
Much better than a HDD,but not the fastest ssd.
I think what is happening is that a fast sequence of writes, the drive buffers fill up and the write rate degrades to the speed of the slower underlying nand chips.
Not much you can do about it.
If you need lots of sequential writing, that is where a hdd can be better.

Dec 12, 2021
You have a budget ssd.
It uses tlc nand chips which are cheap but not as capable as mlc or slc.
Much better than a HDD,but not the fastest ssd.
I think what is happening is that a fast sequence of writes, the drive buffers fill up and the write rate degrades to the speed of the slower underlying nand chips.
Not much you can do about it.
If you need lots of sequential writing, that is where a hdd can be better.
I think it makes sence, it is kinda cheap and I can not really do anything. Appreciate for the help.
i dont understand, do you mean when you're downloading something and the steam writes on ssd, the ssd speed is not fast? i have a klevv n400 240gb and it never went full speed on write and read as advertised but it performs like yours, and it always depends on the file, if it concludes decompressing or unzipping something it should depends on the files and the cpu capability on doing the tasks.

so as long as the ssd read write is ok when you're transfering files, it should be ok. i usually get 240MB/s max write if im transfering huge files or 1 folder with many small files. read could go up to 400MB/s. so it actually depends on the cpu performance and the file you are transfer/reading.
Yep speed drops down immediately after 1 or 2gb of file is downloaded (I am talking about game). It is very annoying when I try to download something and on HDD I can download bigger file faster than in this SSD...
Koekieezz thank you for your time, I think I will not do anything about that, except new one SSD :)

Reactions: Koekieezz
I think it makes sence, it is kinda cheap and I can not really do anything. Appreciate for the help.

Yep speed drops down immediately after 1 or 2gb of file is downloaded (I am talking about game). It is very annoying when I try to download something and on HDD I can download bigger file faster than in this SSD...
Koekieezz thank you for your time, I think I will not do anything about that, except new one SSD :)
an NVME drive would be better on these drops even if it's dramless, rather than a sata ssd. so, enjoy the ssd!