Question Slow texture loading + Texture pop in + Flickering textures - In most 3D games [Help]

Lastfatality09

Honorable
Sep 7, 2014
Hey guys, I have had this really enigmatic problem for a couple of months I need help solving it. There is some noticeable texture pop in in all games and I realized that some games like Horizon Zero Dawn or Control have blurry textures. There are also flickering textures and shadows in some games (RDR 2, GTA V) which is so weird.
  • I formatted the PC 2 times - No change
  • I DDU all the time - No change
  • I MEM tested the ram - No problems with the ram
  • I tried playing from other SSDs / Nvme - No change
  • I changed the ram slots and the GPU PCIe slot - No change
  • The temps are great all around the board so there isn't any overheating going on.
  • Connected GPU to monitor with a HDMI instead of DP - No change
  • I have tried rolling back GPU drivers - No change
  • I have the most recent bios update
Now you'd think it's the GPU the thing is I've done stress tests and there is a total absence of artifacts or overheating. The GPU seems fine. Unfortunately I don't have a free GPU lying around so I can't try another one.
My specs:
  • CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz, 3792 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
  • GPU: RTX 2060 ROG Strix OC 6GB
  • Motherboard: ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING
  • PSU: Corsair RM650x
  • RAM: 32 GB Corsair 3600mhz
  • Storage: 1TB NVME + 2 TB SSD + 250 GB SSD (Windows 10)
  • Monitor: 1440p 75hz connected with a display port + 1080p 60hz connected with a HDMI
I know this might be a bit hard to solve but I mostly would like to hear your ideas on what could be causing the slow loading textures, texture pop in and flickering even if you're not sure.

Last edited:
Hey there,

Yeah, I'd have put it down to a GPU issues too! It's odd considering the fixes you've tried that it hasn't improved.

Is your bios up to date? Try that, and see if it helps.

Have you tried running Superposition or another GPU bench to see if it happens then?

Have you tried rolling back the driver to previous versions. If it's only a recent thing, then it's possible it's a driver bug, so going back a couple of iterations might be worth doing, just to be sure.

Lastfatality09

Honorable
Sep 7, 2014
Hey there,

Yeah, I'd have put it down to a GPU issues too! It's odd considering the fixes you've tried that it hasn't improved.

Have you tried running Superposition or another GPU bench to see if it happens then?

Have you tried rolling back the driver to previous versions. If it's only a recent thing, then it's possible it's a driver bug, so going back a couple of iterations might be worth doing, just to be sure.

Thanks for replying!
  1. My BIOS is up to date
  2. I am downloading Superposition right now to benchmark it
  3. I have, in fact I launched some games with just the windows automatic GPU drivers and there still was pop in!
I am adding these answers to the original thread

Lastfatality09

Honorable
Sep 7, 2014
Hey there,

I successfully ran a directx and openGL benchmark without a single artifact, without a single texture irregularity... It really is enigmatic

ok, do a thing, try a nvidia driver version from before like a 3 month old driver version, u wud get that from nvidia site.
First use ddu and then install the driver.
Also try with a single ram stick.
Also try with at least two driver versions before concluding its an issue with the gpu, in that case rma'ing is the best option...

Lastfatality09

Honorable
Sep 7, 2014
ok, do a thing, try a nvidia driver version from before like a 3 month old driver version, u wud get that from nvidia site.
First use ddu and then install the driver.
Also try with a single ram stick.
Also try with at least two driver versions before concluding its an issue with the gpu, in that case rma'ing is the best option...

I did all of that. Nothing changes. Since the stress tests are fine, i feel as if the GPU is fine too. I was wondering if this could have anything to do with the motherboard ?

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
I'm calling for a format and clean windows install. Then you can at least take out the equation the software side of things

EDIT ok I've seen you did so. Then it's definitely hardware. I would try the gpu on a different rig. Either with a friend/relative or bringing it to a shop to check. Because if the same thing happened with a clean windows install, is def some hardware piece in your rig. My first suspect would be the drives, but you installed the games on different ssds. Did you actually try reinstalling windows onto another drive or you used the same driver for that?

veevix

Reputable
Nov 18, 2017
Hey guys, I have had this really enigmatic problem for a couple of months I need help solving it. There is some noticeable texture pop in in all games and I realized that some games like Horizon Zero Dawn or Control have blurry textures. There are also flickering textures and shadows in some games (RDR 2, GTA V) which is so weird.
  • The temps are great all around the board so there isn't any overheating going on.
Now you'd think it's the GPU the thing is I've done stress tests and there is a total absence of artifacts or overheating. The GPU seems fine. Unfortunately I don't have a free GPU lying around so I can't try another one.
My specs:
  • CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz, 3792 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
  • Monitor: 1440p 75hz connected with a display port + 1080p 60hz connected with a HDMI
I know this might be a bit hard to solve but I mostly would like to hear your ideas on what could be causing the slow loading textures, texture pop in and flickering even if you're not sure.

Did you ever find a fix? I'm worried it's my GPU.
I've been dealing with the exact issues you've mentioned + a small flicker only on the top of the screen on occasion.
I've also tried almost everything you've listed too.

My specs are as follows;

3080 FE
i9-11900,
DDR4 RAM @ 3600Mhz,
ROG Maxismus XIII hero
850w PSU from Corsair

I'm also questioning if it's my monitor.

JCCatI910900K

Prominent
Jun 3, 2021
My specs:
I am gonna answer here cos this forum pops up in the top results in google, you Guys ain't gonna believe what trifle caused the similar issue for me. So ... for months or years I had been noticing this texture pop-in or slow load in games like Metro Exodus or AC Valhalla and thought it to be an issue of just how the game engine is faulty and does not draw quick enough but I kinda accidentally did one thing. I needed to remove RTSS (bloody Riva Tuner Stats Server) that is always on with MSI Afterburner and cannot be switched off since the Unreal Engine 5 as of now always hangs with this crp on. After I did I could not believe my eyes. With Asus's GPU Tweak II I now on I hardly ever see texture slow loading anymore, apparently the RTSS c*p slows down your GPU to the point of this dreadful annoyance. Hope that helps for some of you Guys, Cheers :)