Slow to boot, login, load ...just everything.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

alexoldshane

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
Hello all!

So, having an issue with my wife's desktop. Recently got it back from sager - had to be sent in for repairs because it was shutting down by itself by instantly turning off. They replaced the MoBo and sent it back. Was all good for a couple weeks, but now we're having another problem.

Currently, it only takes about 5 mins to boot - Gets to the "Starting Windows" screen and then it begins to take forever. However, it takes no less than 15 minutes to login (Welcome with the loading icon next to it for 15 mins), and it also takes about 10 minutes to load the desktop.

Also, the computer has become slow. Talking... Internet Explorer back in 92 with a virus slow. Took almost a full minute just to close the Event Log Window before I attempted to use cmd.

Runs Windows 7-64bit and runs on an i5 with nvidia graphics card. Wasn't doing this before, and no idea why it is now. In addition, it had undergone two BSODs recently. However, when I went to check them they weren't in the log. Wife says didn't restore to last working point, but... who knows.

I've been searching around and tried to look at the Event log for startup via
Code:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprohardware/thread/3cc721e0-279e-488d-918b-f4d5a5102845/

However, the cmd returns with: "Failed to open event query. The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error."

I can't find anything whatsoever on this error. All I get in results is results related to SQL, full backup, and server errors.
I have no idea how to go about fixing this. Going to keep looking around but if anyone can help, would be wonderful.

Thanks in advance!

Solution

Sorry, it has to be detected before you can attempt to recover data from it. There are some free applications available that can detect and recover the data when Windows Explorer doesn't even see it... but the immediate problem is detecting the HDD first, and I have already suggested all possible means that I know of... so, if you still haven't tried with a USB enclosure, that's the next and last thing to try. If the data is to important to give it up, you could buy a hard drive of the same model and try switching the Circuit board... since the HDD doesn't make abnormal noises there's a chance the Circuit Board is damaged and...

Sorry, it has to be detected before you can attempt to recover data from it. There are some free applications available that can detect and recover the data when Windows Explorer doesn't even see it... but the immediate problem is detecting the HDD first, and I have already suggested all possible means that I know of... so, if you still haven't tried with a USB enclosure, that's the next and last thing to try. If the data is to important to give it up, you could buy a hard drive of the same model and try switching the Circuit board... since the HDD doesn't make abnormal noises there's a chance the Circuit Board is damaged and replacing it may solve the problem. Watch the video for related information

DIY How to repair a completely dead hard drive with fried circuit board

Solution