Question Slow transfer speed help needed

Oct 5, 2022
Hi...I have an external SSD drive. When I transfer files from the hard drive to my laptop speed is fast. But when transferring files from the laptop to the same hard drive it get's pretty slow. I can see the transfer speeds go from fast to slow then back up again then down again. A 4Gb file will take a couple of minutes to finish. Any advice on how to fix this? Thanks.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you please pass on the make and models to your storage devices? As for your platform, are you on the latest chipset/USB/storage drivers? Latest BIOS for your platform's motherboard? Make and model of your laptop and it's SKU?

Oct 5, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you please pass on the make and models to your storage devices? As for your platform, are you on the latest chipset/USB/storage drivers? Latest BIOS for your platform's motherboard? Make and model of your laptop and it's SKU?

Hi Lutfij. External HDD is a RAVPower Portable External SSD Pro, 1TB Hard Drive with 540MB/S Data Transfer . Laptop is an Asus Zephyrus G14. No problem when I send files to the laptop but not the other way around. I have no idea if the problem is on the laptop side or the external SSD side.

Right now it has 200GB free space. Like I mentioned earlier no problems with file transfers from it to the laptop. It's when transferring files from the laptop to it that's very slow.
OK.....write speed of the disk can take a hit as free space gets low.

Open device manager.
Expand the disk.
Click on properties for this ext ssd.
Click on policy.
Put a check in enable write caching.

See if it makes a diff.

Oct 5, 2022
OK.....write speed of the disk can take a hit as free space gets low.

Open device manager.
Expand the disk.
Click on policy.

See if it makes a diff.
Thanks will give it a try. About the disc space. 200GB left out of 1TB is too low in your opinion?

Oct 5, 2022
Open device manager.
Expand the disk.
Click on policy.

See if it makes a diff.
[/QUOTE]
Tried it same thing. FYI when I transfer files from the SSD to the laptop transfer speed is at 320MB/s. When I do the reverse from laptop to the SSD it starts at about 100MB/s then goes down to 3MB/s for a couple of minutes. Then goes back up again to 90MB/s then goes down again below 5MB/s. It goes like this up and down until it completes the transfer.

Open device manager.
Expand the disk.
Click on policy.

See if it makes a diff.
Tried it same thing. FYI when I transfer files from the SSD to the laptop transfer speed is at 320MB/s. When I do the reverse from laptop to the SSD it starts at about 100MB/s then goes down to 3MB/s for a couple of minutes. Then goes back up again to 90MB/s then goes down again below 5MB/s. It goes like this up and down until it completes the transfer.
[/QUOTE]
Post a screenshot from crystal disk mark for this ext ssd.