[SOLVED] Slow transfer speeds between 2 M.2 NvME Drives on a clean install of windows

Sep 28, 2021
Hi there,

Just reinstalled Windows 10 and am trying to transfer files to my boot drive from another M.2 SSD, but unfortunately I'm getting far slower speeds than I'd expect. Transfer speeds and Task Manager usage

PC Hardware

CPU: AMD 5900x
MOBO: ASUS PRIME X570-PRO AM4 AMD X570 Motherboard
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz
Storage
(New boot drive, transferring files TO this drive) Intel® SSD 660p Series (1.0TB, M.2 80mm PCIe 3.0 x4)
(Second drive, transferring FROM this drive) Samsung 980 PRO 2TB PCIe NVMe Gen4 M.2 SSD

As I can see on Intel's website, the read/write speeds are specified at 1800MB/s (can't imagine it's the 980 pro that's causing the issues), but my files are only transferring at a speed of 100MB/s (primarily video footage, so a smaller amount of large files). Any suggestions on why the speeds are so low? Again, this is a fresh install of Windows 10 on the Intel drive, with all Windows 10 updates and only Firefox installed other than that. Thanks for the help!

Solution
Yeah, it is tough to trade out drives. I'm fortunate to have a very large independent storage array for such things.

A good idea prior to future significant file changes would be to download the Intel and Samsung SSD tools and run a manual TRIM on each first. Each link is to the latest version and your device is on the supported list. Note that the Samsung link is a direct download link. You can install both to check your current drive status and run manual TRIM and other stuff. They also inform you when updated firmware is available.

RealBeast

Titan
On the drive that you are writing TO, if the drive was used before I would do a secure erase on it and then do the transfer again. Speeds should be much better.

And just curious, but why are you not using the faster drive (980) as your boot drive?

Sep 28, 2021
Okay I'll give that a try, thanks.

And just curious, but why are you not using the faster drive (980) as your boot drive?

And yeah, I'm planning on it, but due to a lack of prep, I had to do some file juggling, so I'll eventually be moving the files back to the EVO 980 after installing windows on that drive. Thanks again.

RealBeast

Titan
Yeah, it is tough to trade out drives. I'm fortunate to have a very large independent storage array for such things.

A good idea prior to future significant file changes would be to download the Intel and Samsung SSD tools and run a manual TRIM on each first. Each link is to the latest version and your device is on the supported list. Note that the Samsung link is a direct download link. You can install both to check your current drive status and run manual TRIM and other stuff. They also inform you when updated firmware is available.

Solution