Question Slow upload speeds with Cox - Expert info needed

Nov 20, 2022
Modem: Netgear CM1000v2
Router: ASUS AC1300
Modem/router/PC all connected via CAT7 cables.

So I've been experiencing terrible upload speeds for years. It's in and out. Somedays I get what I pay for and others I get below 1.00Mbps up. My plan is Gigabit down and 35Mbps Up. Cox is my ISP. I've changed all my cables, new routers, new modems, new line from the tap to the connection on my home. Nothing changes. It just seems to go slow when it feels like it at random days and random times, even during slow traffic hours when people are at work or early in the morning. Cox claims everything is fine on their end :ROFLMAO:. Techs come out and tell me everything looks good. A tech did tell me last time they came out that it's all on Cox's end and this is a common problem reported in my area and they are doing work to fix it. Shortly after that visit it ran great for months, great down/up speeds but the last few days its back again. As far as I can tell everything on my end is sound. I'm 99% sure Cox is the problem and the network in my area is just too congested. Cox will not admit any fault. I've filed with the FCC but have not had any luck with that.

I've tested the connection over wifi and ethernet. I've tested from the modem directly to my pc via ethernet. I've tested from modem to router and to the pc. All net the same results when I'm having this issue, slow upload speeds.

The ONLY issue I can seem to locate is that I've noticed my modem's firmware version is v6.01.07 however when I check Netgear's site for the version I should be running on with Cox it states V1.01.03 is the current authorized version. Cox will not upgrade/update my firmware since I did not get the modem though them, I asked. Netgear states only my ISP can change the firmware for this modem. I can't even find a download for any firmware for my modem at all. I don't think this would be the issue since the slow speeds are not consistent. I could be wrong?

Here is all the log info from my modem:
Cable connection info/logs - I believe the signals look good coming into the modem but I'm no expert on this stuff.
Modem logs

Recent speed test logs: Speed tests
You can see its all over the place in the last day. Sometimes its perfect then it just dies. What causes this? Can something on my end cause this to go in and out? I assume that since it runs perfect some days that it can't be anything on my end. I cannot stress how much work I've put into my end. I can't figure out what would cause this other than Cox having a problem on their end.

I am pretty sure Cox is the problem here but you never know, figured I'd give it a shot here and maybe I'll find out I've been overlooking something.

Any suggestions? Questions? Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Nov 20, 2022
Right here:

"Modem/router/PC all connected via CAT7 cables."

( My underline.)

Use Cat 5e or Cat 6, Unshielded, round (not flat), AWG 22-24, pure copper. Not CCA (Copper clad aluminum).

Where were the cables purchased? Likely fake cable.

FYI from this Forum:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/cat6-vs-cat7-for-gaming.3638880/

There are other similar posts to be found.

Would a faulty cable give fast speeds one day then slow speeds the next or just at random? I've gone months with these cables with 0 issues.

USAFRet

Titan
Would a faulty cable give fast speeds one day then slow speeds the next or just at random? I've gone months with these cables with 0 issues.
Possibly, yes.

1. Bad cable or connection. A slightly twitchy connector can make all the difference.

2. An issue from the ISP.

When the tech came out and said "Everything is OK", did you/he verify it with YOUR equipment?

But I agree with the above. "Cat7" automatically is suspect.

Nov 20, 2022
Possibly, yes.

1. Bad cable or connection. A slightly twitchy connector can make all the difference.

2. An issue from the ISP.

When the tech came out and said "Everything is OK", did you/he verify it with YOUR equipment?

But I agree with the above. "Cat7" automatically is suspect.

I want to note I've experienced this issue with older cables in cat 6/5, unshielded, long ago when first experiencing this issue. I've gotten new modems, routers and even a usb ethernet port since and the problem still arises when it feels like it. Are the current cables I'm using not up to the standards of some? Maybe not as they are flat cat 7 cables from amazon ( I bought them without researching enough maybe but I've not really experienced any issues with them). I did order some new round cat 8 cables from amazon yesterday on the off shoot I've had tons of bad cables in a row. Is cat 8 overkill? Maybe. I'm looking into cat 6 rounded, unshielded cables if nothing changes with the new cat 8 cables. At this point I'm seriously doubting it's a cable or connection issue since I've experienced this issue on multiple platforms/devices/cables/hardware all on this connection.

As far as the tech visits, yes. They said everything was in proper working order on my end. For some reason every time I follow up with cox after the visit they don't seem to have any record of a tech coming out or even what they noted, conveniently enough for them. Their only solution is resets and more tech visits. Just tired of the senseless run around. I even had a customer service rep suggest that by simply clearing my cookies and cache would magically fix my issue. Some of the things these agents have suggested are laughable and they don't seem to really read my account history or even what I'm telling them as several times I've explained I'm testing over ethernet and they always jump to wifi solutions even after I tell them its the same over both. Some don't even seem to know the difference between wifi and ethernet. I blame cox and the tools/scripts they give their reps more than anything. The agents are doing the best they can with the training they are given.

Does anyone see anything in my modem logs that rings any alarms?

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2022
Right here:

"Modem/router/PC all connected via CAT7 cables."

( My underline.)

Use Cat 5e or Cat 6, Unshielded, round (not flat), AWG 22-24, pure copper. Not CCA (Copper clad aluminum).

Where were the cables purchased? Likely fake cable.

HERE are the cables I'm currently using, but keep in mind I've experienced this issue with all sorts of cables, mostly the real deal authentic cables you described.

HERE are the new cat 8 cables I ordered. Solid copper, shielded and thicker than you suggested (ordered them before you replied, sorry). Thoughts?

The first cables are definitely fakes. The wire size is way to small and it automatically disqualifies them. Problem is the term "cat" means nothing all the standards are things like EIA/TIA and a bunch of numbers.

The cat8 cable is also likely fake. I am not sure what the actual standards are for cat8 cables but ones used in data centers, which is the only place you really need them, cost more than 10-20 times the cost of say a cat5e or cat6 cable. No way vendors on amazon are going to give away expensive cables.

Those cat8 cable might work better ?. The wire size is still thinner than the 22-24 range required but there is a exception for short patch cable rather than long runs where you can use awg 26. It still will never run 40gbit if you were to use it on equipment that actually need cat8 cables.

You need nothing better than cat5e. It is rated to the full 1gbit. Buying cables with bigger numbers does nothing they do not run faster or better. If you needed say 10gbit then you would buy cat6a.

Not sure on your actual speed problem though. You cable modem logs look fine.
Do you have a second pc you could test on to be sure it is not software. I guess you could try to boot a linux USB image but it depends on how often this happens.

Although it does not happen as much it could be your neighbors traffic since you share the total bandwidth between your house and the ISP equipment. They generally have huge bandwidth now days but I can see differences if I test say between 5-11pm and if I test at 5am. Nothing that really matters but it still 10-20% at times.

Reactions: Ralston18

Ralston18

Titan
Also: the Cat 7 cable is flat - that is an immediate problem.

As for the Cat 8 just reading the "about" would be an immediated rejection of the cable.

Touting 26 wire AWG as better than 32 AWG is just comparing bad to worse.

Sheilded cables require proper grounding.

Thoughts = Return the cables.

Jan 14, 2023
Dverk, did you find a solution to this? I have been having this same issue to every exact detail. I’ve just been running in circles and don’t know where to turn to fix it. The only thing is thinking about changing ISP but if my issue is something else I don’t want to run into same issue. I’ll sometimes in ten minutes go from 40mbps upload, to .08 and it’s like clockwork after 5:30. Thanks in advance.