Slow Windows 7 Shutdown

Gravien

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
Hello people. I'm currently experiencing slow shutdown with Windows 7 (up to 30 seconds).
I've been looking for causes and solutions for the past week and this is driving me nuts. Hopefully someone can lend me a hand.

Here is the build.
Motherboard: Asus Rampage III Extreme
CPU: Intel Core i7 950
Ram: Patriot Viper II Sector 7 Series DDR3 6GB (3 x 2GB) PC3-12800 Low Latency Kit (XMP enabled, running at 1600MHz)
Hard Drive for OS: Mushkin Callisto Deluxe SSD, 60GB

This is a fresh Windows 7 64 bit install on a new computer, with minimal programs installed. The start up is blazing fast with the SSD, from bios post to browsing in 8 seconds, but shutting down the computer is the exact opposite. If I shutdown the computer right away after I've logged into windows, then everything is good and the process only takes 2-3 seconds. However, if I start browsing, playings games, etc. and then shutdown the computer, the process takes up to 20-30 seconds.

More info:
- ATTO shows my SSD is running good with its read/write specs.
- Memtest+ v4.1 shows RAM is running good.
- The registry value of "ClearPageFileAtShutdown" is at 0.
- The registry value of "WaitToKillServiceTimeout" is at default 12000.
- I tried the exact same build on another motherboard before I returned it to the store, Gigabyte's GA-X58A-UD3R, and had the exact same slow shutdown problem.
- The SSD is connected to one of the ICH10R SATA slots in AHCI, Intel RST v10.0.0.1046 installed.
- Rebuilt my old computer with fresh a Windows 7 install, (E8400 CPU, 780i motherboard, 7200 rpm HD) did not have this slow shutdown issue at all, nor did I ever had it anyways.

The reason I haven't changed the registry value of "WaitToKillServiceTimeout" to 2000, is because that I doubt it will work, and even if it worked, I still don't know what the cause is. I really want to find out the true cause and fix it the "right" way, especially when my old computer doesn't have this problem at all.

Any ideas, suggestions?

Gravien

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
Thanks for the reply.

Sorry I do not follow. I'm not as technical as I might sound from my OP, as I just Googled and asked around for solutions and did them.

What exactly do you mean by putting a swapfile on a mechnical HDD?

superfishnz

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
What about running "msconfig" and then clicking on the [Startup] tab to see what programs are set to start when Windows starts up? Perhaps one of those programs is the cause of it and is having problems shutting down?

What I would suggest is to run "Msconfig" from the run command in Windows and then clicking on [Startu] then disabling everything in there, shutdown your computer and see what happens. If that has improved then start enabling the startup items one and one to see what might be causing the slow shutdown.

Gravien

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
Just an update, I got this fixed myself. It was actually... quite a simple one.

Go to Advance Power Settings in Windows 7, and have the power feed to ALL hard drives to never turn off.

Turning off the computer takes 2 seconds now.

superfishnz

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
Wow, 2 seconds turn off is pretty darn fast!
I just saw the specs of your machine and it has an SSD - NICE!

Thanks for letting us know of the fix, I wasn't aware of that option - that's the wonder of working in the IT/Computer field = always learning new things.

ricky_critic

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
Hi,

Defragmentation process can solve the slow shut down problems in Windows 7 operating system. This process helps the computer to rearrange the files on the disk, making them always stay at the same place and easier to be accessed. This defragmentation process helps your computer system to speeding up shut down speed.

Get more information to fix Windows 7 slow shutdown issues: http://windows7.iyogi.com/support/windows-7-slow-shutdown/

Hope this helps you.

elfmarshland

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012

Defragmentation is great for regular HDDs, however it can be the worst thing for SSDs as it can cause the SSD to prematurely die.
See here.. http://www.micro-isv.asia/2010/12/never-defragment-an-ssd/