Question Slower upload on ethernet than on wifi

aidanstanard

Honorable
Oct 2, 2017
Recently I've been having issues with my upload speed on my main computer. It has 1/5 to 1/15th the upload speed of what my phone gets over wifi. I have read through many forums and can't fix the issue so I'm coming here asking for help.

Generally this means your cable is ok and it is not likely a hardware issue. Most hardware issue affect download and upload.

Finding what software might be doing this is very tricky sometimes.

I would first look for any software that talks about QoS or favoring some traffic over others. There are a number of these that come bundled with the bloatware on motherboard and video cards. Any kind of software like this I remove.

Although unlikely I would see what happens if you use the option to turn the firewall off temporarily.

Not sure what to try next.

Normally I recommend to boot a linux USB image. This would let you confirm it was something in the windows install causing it. Not that it really helps you find it.
What speeds do you get if you say copy a file from that machine to another in your lan. With speeds that low it should be very obvious but you can see the speed in the resource monitor network tab. If this work it would imply it was something maybe with the browser causing it.

aidanstanard

Honorable
Oct 2, 2017
I have basically no programs that touch my ethernet. I am thinking it could be a setting on my network properties. Firewall is off and I don't use an active antivirus software that would act as a firewall either.

Are you sure your phone is uploading over wifi, connected to the same router the PC is connected to? It might be using the mobile connection. It is pretty normal for home internet to be non-symmetrical, while mobile tends to offer symmetric bandwidth in most cases.

TRENDING THREADS