Question Sluggish download speed (capped at around 100-400KBps) ?

Apr 9, 2023
Hi,
I’ve been experiencing download speed of 100-400KBps on my wifi of network speed 150 Mbps. The problem is only on my laptop running Win10 x64 bit.
Ive tried multiple device on the same network and neither of them show any problem downloading and tried different network on the same problematic laptop and the issue persist on different network as well.( Tried it on various websites as well).
Finally concluded the issue is with my laptop.

While running internet speed test on this laptop i’m getting 100-150 Mbps , meanwhile when it comes to actually downloading something , the speed is somewhat capped around 400 KBps. Things i tried so far:
  • Flush dns , winsock reset stuff
  • Updating drivers and uninstall and reinstall them as well.
  • Disabled autotuning from cmd
  • Changed Dns
  • Factory reset my windows 10
Please help . I dont know what information is needed to resolve the issue . Please let me know

I would first try on a ethernet cable to be sure it not some strange network issue.

What makes this confusing is speedtest is actually a file download and upload that is not kept. Is it only web browser download you tried or did you also use say something like steam.
Have you tried other speedtesting sites. You might not get the same numbers but you should get more than 400Kbyte(3.2mbps).

Maybe try to disable IPv6. Maybe some of the sites are using IPv4 and other IPv6

Apr 9, 2023
I would first try on a ethernet cable to be sure it not some strange network issue.

What makes this confusing is speedtest is actually a file download and upload that is not kept. Is it only web browser download you tried or did you also use say something like steam.
Have you tried other speedtesting sites. You might not get the same numbers but you should get more than 400Kbyte(3.2mbps).

Maybe try to disable IPv6. Maybe some of the sites are using IPv4 and other IPv6
Hey 😇,
First of all , Appreciate the help .
Tried ethernet cable - the speed on internet test become a stable 150 Mbps apart from that the issue with download still persist.

Also tried downloading via steam ,surprisingly i got a download speed of 12-14 MBps while on steam . Don’t really understand why the download speed on steam is not effected by this issue.

Tried disable ipv6 , the issue still persist.
Guess the issue only affecting web browser downloads.
Tried various web browsers , all showing the same problem.
Please help

I would look for any so called "gaming" network software on your machine that maybe limiting speeds. A lot of times this comes bundled with the bloatware on motherboards and video cards. A common name is called cFosSpeed but anything that claims to give one kind of traffic priority over another should be uninstalled.

Although you changed the DNS check that the browser is not over riding it. You can set the DNS in the browser, this used to be the only way to use the encrypted DNS before microsoft added support. I would use 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8 as your DNS server. Both these support encrypted DNS which you should use in the long term.

What I don't get is why speedtest works and not other browser downloads. Speedtest only runs from the browser and is a file download. Maybe try a big site like microsoft and get say a copy of a windows install image. I would watch the network tab to see if the rate is consistently slow or if it is spiking and then going to zero.
Maybe the speedtest does not run long enough to get errors.

Apr 9, 2023
I would look for any so called "gaming" network software on your machine that maybe limiting speeds. A lot of times this comes bundled with the bloatware on motherboards and video cards. A common name is called cFosSpeed but anything that claims to give one kind of traffic priority over another should be uninstalled.

Although you changed the DNS check that the browser is not over riding it. You can set the DNS in the browser, this used to be the only way to use the encrypted DNS before microsoft added support. I would use 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8 as your DNS server. Both these support encrypted DNS which you should use in the long term.

What I don't get is why speedtest works and not other browser downloads. Speedtest only runs from the browser and is a file download. Maybe try a big site like microsoft and get say a copy of a windows install image. I would watch the network tab to see if the rate is consistently slow or if it is spiking and then going to zero.
Maybe the speedtest does not run long enough to get errors.
Hey there 🙂
After formatting the entire system and re-install, i lost all of the game enhancement softwares such as predator sense etc and i don't see anymore booster app running in the task manager as well.
If there is a way to find those app or check if they are still there , please let me know .
I tried dns on browser but the problem is still there.
And for the Windows iso file , its the same sluggish speed but there was a process called ‘Service Host: Background Intelligent Transfer Service’ running in the processes tab in task manager taking up 8-10Mbps. Im not sure if its the normal process or if its the thing that slows the network down.
Also i watched download a 2GB file and there is no significant spike in network speed , its starts somewhere around 200KBps and then change like +/- 100 KBps . Never down to zero though.

Last edited: