Question Small Powered USB 3 Hub

I'm looking for a small 2 to 4 port USB hub that I could use double sided adhesive strips to stick tot eh side of my monitor to plug in thumb-drives/hdds/ etc. Normally I'd just buy the cheapest but I want to know if anyone has and recommendations for hubs that are fast and have the power to power a HDD or other power hungry device.

I have gotten a few of these https://www.amazon.com/ATOLLA-Super...00V1GFRBXVZ&psc=1&refRID=R25918T3N00V1GFRBXVZ

I like having the dedicated charging port so the computer does not pop up with connection messages every time I plug something in to charge it.

I would just put that on the desk by the monitor not stick on it, there is not much that will hold it in place well unless you use some very heavy duty mounts and have a large stable area to mount it.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
The one linked above has 4 ports, but the power module included is capable only of 3.0 A total, meaning it cannot deliver the full 0.9 A per port to ALL four of its ports simultaneously. That may or may not matter to you; here's why.

The USB 3.0 specs say each port should be able to deliver 0.9 A max at 5 VDC to its connected device. Now, small devices like keyboards and thumb drives do not need that much power. But "Laptop Hard Drives" certainly do. (In fact, see next paragraph about hard drives.) Further, IF you actually plan to use this to charge some devices that can do a "fast charge" thing using non-standard "charging ports" on the Hub, then the power supply needs to provide even more that the USB 3.0 standard. So, IF your planned use is for no more than one "Laptop Hard Drive" and only small-power other devices like thumb drives, an under-powered unit might do OK for you.

Regarding hard drives, note this. We see very commonly "Laptop hard drives" that are complete units consisting of a small (2½" form factor) laptop-size HDD inside the case, with only a USB 3.0 connection system. These devices ARE designed to work properly with the power available from a USB 3.0 port, provided you use the USB 3.0 cable for connection. To do that they are low-power-consumption drives that run slower than larger units, but are reliable. Although they often claim to be "USB2 Compatible", the truth is that they cannot be used with the more limited power (0.5 A max) available from the older port type unless you arrange additional power for them. Alternatively, some people build their own external drives by mounting a HDD inside an external case with a USB 3.0 connection cable for data. BUT the real issue in these DIY systems is the power required for the drive used. Some 2½" form factor HDD's are NOT built to run on the low (0.9A max) power provided by a USB 3.0 ports, and there are NO 3½" form factor (desktop) HDD's that can work on that power. So IF you build your own and try to get a high-performance (and hence high-power required) external drive that way, the enclosure you use MUST come with its own power supply module to provide that power, even though it uses a USB 3.0 cable for fast data transfer.

OK, back to what I think you are looking for: a 4-port USB 3.0 Hub with adequate power supply module included. I suggest if you really do plan to stick it on the side of your monitor for easy of access, try to get one with all its ports on one EDGE that can face forward. Also recognize that, to have enough power AND to provide the maximum data transfer speed of a USB3.0 system, you must use a USB3.0 data cable between the Hub's input and the host computer's USB 3.0 port, and also that same data cable type between the Hub output port and any connected USB3.0 device. (Of course, the backwards compatibility design of the USB 3.0 system means you can use a USB 2 cable to connect from the hub to a USB 2 device and it will work at the slower USB 2 speeds, and that should NOT affect the speed of other Hub ports.) Here are a couple examples of such Hubs

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...re=USB_3.0_powered_hub-_-17-395-008-_-Product

It has three ports on one edge and the fourth on one end, with sockets on the opposite edge for the power input and connection to the host computer (connecting USB3.0 cable included). Its included power module can deliver up to 4 A, slightly more that needed for 4 ports simultaneously.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics...+Hub+powered&qid=1558026911&s=gateway&sr=8-49

I'm referring here to the 7-port, USB - A version; note this page can show you other models. It has too many? ports for you, but comes with a power supply module for 12 VDC at 3 A - that's 36 W, so when the Hub converts that to 5 VDC, that makes it able to supply up to 7.2 A for its 7 ports. Of those, ONE can actually supply more than 0.9 A (it says, up to 2.4 A) to devices that are designed to use high charging rates, but you would have to not use ALL of the other ports at max load - not likely an issue for you. Ports on this are on top surface, not edge, but that might not matter depending on how you can attach it wherever.

A small note. Just realize that when you use a Hub, all the data from all the connected devices trying to operate at the same time are going to share the single USB 3.0 data connection to the host computer port. So, although you can get really fast data transfers when only one connected device is working, trying to use several hard drives (for example) simultaneously will make each individual drive unit appear slightly slower