[SOLVED] small stuttering and frame drops while gaming

Iosks

Commendable
Feb 27, 2019
Hi
Today I decided to play Battlefield V. It was mainly good experience but the one thing i've noticed is that sometimes when I zoom in or switch weapons my frames drop or stutters a little bit. It sometimes even happens in Battlefield 1. My cpu usage while playing BFV is between 50%-85% and BF1 50%-70%. GPU usage is around 50%-65%.
My specs:
  • Mobo: ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING II
  • CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
  • AIO: NZXT Kraken X63
  • GPU: RTX 2060 Founders Edition
  • RAM: Crucial 2x8gb cl-18 @ 2400mhz (totally base cheap ram)
  • PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus 550w Gold
  • STORAGE: Samsung evo 970 500gb, 1TB HDD, 2.5 500gb
  • CASE: NZXT H510 matte black
So I was thinking that my ram speed and timing is slow and should put in faster and better ones. Or the cpu is weak :/
Sooo which one could it be :)

Thanks for the answers :)

Solution
Don't pay any attention to CPU usage in-game. That's generally reported as number of loaded threads / number of total threads. If a game can't use more than 6 threads, you'll max out at 50% usage.

The GPU usage % is far more telling. If GPU usage % isn't averaging above, say, 85%, then you're CPU-limited.

Things that can increase GPU usage: Higher resolution (most people run native resolution that matches their monitor) and/or higher in-game graphics settings. Since your GPU usage is currently so low, you could probably increase graphics settings without affecting FPS much at all.

In general the CPU tells the GPU what to draw where in each frame. Because of that, (IMO) the CPU portion of the frame rendering workload is...
Don't pay any attention to CPU usage in-game. That's generally reported as number of loaded threads / number of total threads. If a game can't use more than 6 threads, you'll max out at 50% usage.

The GPU usage % is far more telling. If GPU usage % isn't averaging above, say, 85%, then you're CPU-limited.

Things that can increase GPU usage: Higher resolution (most people run native resolution that matches their monitor) and/or higher in-game graphics settings. Since your GPU usage is currently so low, you could probably increase graphics settings without affecting FPS much at all.

In general the CPU tells the GPU what to draw where in each frame. Because of that, (IMO) the CPU portion of the frame rendering workload is potentially more variable in difficulty (assuming the textures of most/all in-game objects is relatively equal). Therefore, CPU-limited performance can be more prone to stuttering or brief FPS drops than GPU-limited performance.

Last edited:
Solution

Iosks

Commendable
Feb 27, 2019

In general the CPU tells the GPU what to draw where in each frame. Because of that, (IMO) the CPU portion of the frame rendering workload is potentially more variable in difficulty (assuming the textures of most/all in-game objects is relatively equal). Therefore, CPU-limited performance can be more prone to stuttering or brief FPS drops than GPU-limited performance.
Thanks for the detailed answer :)
I can increase the graphical settings in-game. I just thought that a 2600 is enough for these games to run without stutters or frame drops. That is why I started looking at my ram. I thought that it is slow for the CPU and gets 'clogged up' with data. I thought that if I buy faster ram I can get rid of these small stutters.